Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wiring large frames and heating support wires to embed them  (Read 2802 times)

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
Wiring large frames and heating support wires to embed them
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:04:32 am »

Long time no visit....

Anyway, I'm UK based and run 14 x 12 hives (jumbo British nationals). Because of the size of frames, they need additional support via horizontal wires.

The largest supplier in the UK offer a transformer system, which allows you to heat the wire (to embed it into the wax) by touching a probe at either end. Does anyone have eny experience about the level of current needed to undertake such a thing? The suppliers price is expensive and I can't think its that hard - but not sure how large the transformer current should be.

Adam

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Wiring large frames and heating support wires to embed them
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 09:33:04 am »
I am not sure of the amp rating (maybe 4 amps)?  but the transformer is 12volts.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 10:17:45 am »
Adam, no kidding!!!  You haven't been here in two years, what on earth have you been up to?  Nosey girl that I am, hee, hee.  I would imagine you have just been plain and simply busy.  Tell us some stories.....have a wonderful and great day, love life. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:49:35 pm »
I've made several of them over the years, no longer use one because I'v gone foundationless.

Buy a small 12 v transformer or rip one out of an old radio or whatever.  Attach the wire from outlet side to each end of a top bar (the large part not the rest end), a small bit of metal bent in an L shape and tacked to the wood works great.  It should look something like this /-----/-----/-----/ where the slash markes are the L shaped brackets and the dashes are the top bar.   Place a monentary switch in line on one wire.  Place the embedder on the wire (the brackets help keep the wire in place and evenally distribute the pressure) and push the switch.  The wire will then melt into the wax as long as the switch is depressed.  Easy does it, it's very easy to cut your wax into strips.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:07:51 pm »
I bought mine from Walter T. Kelly.  I'm not sure of the specs.  But people seem to use most anything, even just an old 120 volt iron in the middle of a 120 volt circuit.  (I'm not that brave but it apparently works fine).  It's the amperage that has to be high enough that you don't burn it out.  The two most popular sources seem to be car battery chargers and old electric train transformers.  I think the old electric train transformers are worth too much money to waste on such ventures.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything