Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It's been a while!  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
It's been a while!
« on: October 18, 2013, 01:51:26 am »
Hello, again.

About a year ago I had many hive component building questions. I was asked to build quite a few components for a Beek that I know. I waffled about getting bees of my own until this last Sunday (13th). My girlfriend has been pestering me to get bees and I was dragging my feet. Why? I don't know!! LOL Well I knew it was bound to happen and had held back a few components for our use. Then last Sunday morning, Jim calls and says "Swarm!... come get your bees!" Well long story short, We now have a bee have setting in back of the house and only one bee sting so far! I'm posting a link that will give you an idea of what happened that day. There are about 50 photos and most have captions at the bottom, so be sure to scroll down to see what is going on. 

https://beesandmorebees.shutterfly.com/

Love to hear some feedback from you to. I did get my girlfriend to sign on to this great site. I figured it would be better for her to ask you the questions and get good answers rather than me getting it wrong! LOL

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
Re: It's been a while!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:16 am »
Great pictures!  I really like your hive design and the built in beetle trap.  Looks like you got a great swarm!

Welcome to the addiction!

love,
ziffa

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
congratulations on getting the bees and a girlfriend that shares your interest in them.  

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:15 pm »
It definately is an addiction...I had one..now two and thinking about trying the TBH again....and I don't need all that honey...I just love watching them.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 12:25:31 am »
thank everyone for the warm fuzzies! @ Carol... TBH?

It is nice that Cathy likes the bees.. I mean LOVES the bees! Has some rain today and she was worried about them!! LOL

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:35:18 am »

Top bar hive. It is a low cost hive that was designed for areas that do not have money or access to buy hive equipment.

Are you sure that is your hive? I think it belongs to Cathy.  :-D

I built a solid black walnut observation hive to go in the house. My wife, Judy, told me while building it that it was not going in her house.
Now, every time I go to do anything to it, she tells me what she wants done. It is not my hive any more.  :-\
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:45:25 am »
Great pic's, girlfriend, hives and bees.  Good luck too you and Cathy with yualls bees.

Joe

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:15:07 pm »
Congratulations, Royall! I told hubby that if he wanted to start beekeeping, that it was his hobby. Until I went to my first beek presentation (out of town; hey, it was a shopping trip for me). I didn't understand a thing the speaker was talking about, came home and bought the book our Club uses and started grilling our mentor....
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:44:00 pm »
JP, that's about the way its going here! We had beek Jim come over last night for dinner. Hardly able for him to eat with all the questions Cathy was asking! What book does your club use? We've had this hive for a week now and already she is trying to talk me into getting more!!

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 07:51:27 pm »
Just have to ask about allergies. I mentioned I got stung while getting the girls new home set up. It was on the right index finger and yeah, is smarted a bit. Now starting last night, that finger started to itch something bad and has continued into today. I did take a Benadryl (spl?) and the itching has stopped. There is a little swelling and fever present too. Is this normal for a bee sting? Should I be concerned at this point?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 09:58:54 pm »
I would be surprised if you didn't have itching and swelling on your first sting. Sometimes when I haven't had a sting for a long time I still swell a little, especially in an area where I have not been stung before. This is after having been stung numerous times between my eyebrows with no reaction at all.
Be sure to also put Benadryl cream and hydracortizone on the sting area right after being stung and until the swelling is gone. This seems to help your body to get used to the stings.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 10:14:11 pm »
Thanks Jim. I did put some cortisone type cream on it earlier today. The itching stopped for a while but came back. That's when I took the Benadryl..... sure made me sleepy! 

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 06:48:08 am »

It is nice that Cathy likes the bees.. I mean LOVES the bees! Has some rain today and she was worried about them!! LOL

Very cool....and welcome.  LOL....we had about 2 " of snow yesterday.  Its 26F right now.  Weatherwise I suspect there is little to worry about on the Islands...typhoons maybe  ;)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 01:16:44 pm »
Very cool....and welcome.  LOL....we had about 2 " of snow yesterday.  Its 26F right now.  Weatherwise I suspect there is little to worry about on the Islands...typhoons maybe  ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, T Beek, Its a hard life but someone has to make the big sacrifice!  :-D Just the occational tsunami scare and about once a year there is a big panic about this or that hurricane headed at the big island. Thanks too the two big volcanoes here, the hurricane just moves around us! But as a result, all the Spam,bottled water and toilet paper are gone off the shelves in record time!! LOL Cold time here is Late December through mid February. That is when I find out how  thin my blood has gotten! I mean, it gets down to 57* at times and no stoves or furnaces in the house!!!  BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 01:41:17 pm »
Very cool....and welcome.  LOL....we had about 2 " of snow yesterday.  Its 26F right now.  Weatherwise I suspect there is little to worry about on the Islands...typhoons maybe  ;)

Yeah, T Beek, Its a hard life but someone has to make the big sacrifice!  :-D Just the occational tsunami scare and about once a year there is a big panic about this or that hurricane headed at the big island. Thanks too the two big volcanoes here, the hurricane just moves around us! But as a result, all the Spam,bottled water and toilet paper are gone off the shelves in record time!! LOL Cold time here is Late December through mid February. That is when I find out how  thin my blood has gotten! I mean, it gets down to 57* at times and no stoves or furnaces in the house!!!  BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
[/quote]

57!  DEGREES.  Oh my.  Sounds like a great time for a backyard BBQ.........just to warm up  :-D  Get the grill going.   We still fire ours up when temps are well below freezing, usually with company and while listening to some football game ....or discussing political strategies  ;).......Good times.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything