Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Baklava  (Read 3320 times)

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
Baklava
« on: May 08, 2013, 10:12:29 pm »
Sorry to post here but I've been searching through the recipe area and can't find one for Baklava. Seems impossible that there wouldn't be one on this site. Any help? Looking for one with basic ingredients and more honey/less sugar if possible.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Re: Baklava
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:09 pm »
Hey brushwoodnursery,

This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1918,148190-227203,00.html

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:37:40 pm »
This is the receipt I use except I use 1/2 again as much honey.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baklava/

-Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:50 pm »
Just hit me. You should PM ThomasGR is lives in Konitsa Greece. If anyone would know he would.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:09:25 pm »
Last thing i expected to see in this forum! I was eating baklava last 4-5 days. We make it sometimes but always during Easter ( right now for Greece ). I will ask my father who makes it last ... 40 years. I hope i will have news soon.
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:29:22 pm »
That is too cool. Thomas. Thanks a lot.

Not important but I lived in Athens from 1981 until 1983. Loved it and miss it very much. Happy Easter.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:15:04 pm »
Thanks all! I look forward to the recipe from Thomas, too.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 08:59:58 pm »
Found you one that uses 2 cups honey and only 1/2 cup sugar.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/12/baklava/

Enjoy and let me know how it turns out.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 02:14:02 am »
Food is something I do know a lot about....I could give you a baklava recipe, but I think you probably got a few that are decent, but they won't be enough, so WILL give you the ways to make it best no matter which recipe you go with, and the reasoning behind them.

use clarified butter. (heat regular butter until it separates and use only the golden oil part, not the milk fats/etc. which burn and is mostly salt.) it browns evenly. also semi chill it prior to spreading it. most recipes tell you brush melted butter...nope.... nice flaky baklava is done with semi solid butter and then the butter melts, steams and causes the separation of the layers and flakiness.

when you pour the syrup, you either pour cool syrup over hot baklava, or hot syrup over cool baklava..... never cool syrup over cold baklava or hot syrup over hot baklava. I am more for cool syrup over hot baklava, that soaks in well, and goes to the bottom better, how I like it, but you'll have to decide on what you want personally.

I also like both pistachio and walnut baklava, and pistachio walnut baklava...I'm ok with, but it isn't my preference just walnut baklava, but that is a preference not a technique. enjoy.... it's really hard not to make it good.

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:41 pm »
would love to see the pistachio recipe

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 10:32:16 am »
here's one:

2 cups plus 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
    2/3 cup honey
    1 cup water
    2 cinnamon sticks
    12 ounces shelled pistachios, toasted (scant 3 cups)
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
    18 14×9-inch sheets fresh phyllo pastry or frozen, thawed (from one 16-ounce package)

Preparation

Simmer 2 cups sugar, honey, water and cinnamon sticks in saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil over medium heat until reduced to approximately 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Cool syrup.

Place nuts and 2 tablespoons sugar in processor. Using on/off turns, process until most of nuts are finely ground (the largest pieces should be the size of small peas). Mix nuts, 6 tablespoons sugar, and cinnamon in medium bowl.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with some of melted butter. Place 1 phyllo sheet folded over on bottom of dish. Brush lightly with melted butter. Repeat 5 more times with phyllo and melted butter. Sprinkle half of pistachio mixture (about 1 1/2 cups) evenly over phyllo. Place 1 phyllo sheet (folded over) over nuts; brush lightly with butter. Repeat 5 more times with phyllo sheets and melted butter. Sprinkle remaining pistachio mixture evenly over. Place 1 phyllo sheet atop nuts folded in half; brush with butter. Repeat 5 more times with phyllo sheets and melted butter.

Using sharp knife, cut diagonally through top phyllo layer from top left corner to bottom right corner. Cut top layer of phyllo into 1-inch-wide rows parallel to both sides of first cut. Turn pan and cut rows about 2 1/4 inches wide, forming diamond pattern.

Bake baklava until golden brown and crisp, 50 to 55 minutes. Drizzle cooled syrup evenly over hot baklava. Cool in pan on rack. Recut baklava along lines all the way through layers.

Offline ThomasGR

• House Bee
    • Meli Konitsas
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 06:13:04 am »
Hello,
I have to apologize for the big delay. I got a written recipe from my father, but it is not possible for me to "decode" this text and express it to English, specially the how to section. Recipes i checked above seems right anyway. He told me that the honey have to be only a small percentage if not at all.
Really sorry.
Thomas , Greece @ www.melikonitsas.gr | www.beephotography.org |Apiary Weather Station |[img width= height= alt=Image created by a PHP script" width="310" height="30
]http://kairos.konitsa.eu/image_sticker.php[/img]

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 08:43:55 am »
Thank you for trying. And thanks to all who are helping! I will make this soon. My mother in law has a lot of pecans so we may try it with those.