Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: starter strips  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
starter strips
« on: June 09, 2007, 06:42:44 pm »
I installed a half dozen frames with 3/4" wax starter strips a while back ( placed throughout other frames in 3 supers) and looked in today (been away for 2 weeks). They were all built out completely, top to bottom but not filled yet. The cells seem rather large???? I thought the bees would build smaller cells but these - haven't had time to measure them - look like drone cells almost. All 6 frames look like this. Any explanation?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: starter strips
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:26 pm »
Zoot,

Relax the comb will get smaller.  As as been mentioned a number of times on this forum, when some hives start to go with naturally drawn comb it sometimes results in comb that may appear larger than what is on foundation.  As the bee generations pass the  combs will get smaller.  Just move the larger combs up and use the smaller comb made later in the brood chamber.  Over a few years you'll have small cell everywhere.  The larger comb can then be used for harvest supers or drone comb. 

Given time, everything works out if you let it.  Remember: Procrastination is the discission to wait.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: starter strips
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 11:42:48 pm »
It's drone comb.  The bees often use it for storage.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything