Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Muscovey Ducks  (Read 5102 times)

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
Muscovey Ducks
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:28:05 pm »
If you keep or are interested in keeping muscovies you need to  search for Fish and Wildlife regulations on migratory birds. They want comment on regs that classified muscovies as migratory and therefore protected. This means they are subject to restrictions and can not be sold for meat. They admit they made a mistake and didn't realize that many people raised them for meat. You have until Dec 30.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Muscovey Ducks
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »
Do you have a link?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 02:00:30 am »
They admit they made a mistake and didn't realize that many people raised them for meat. You have until Dec 30.
So they're going to enforce a stupid law instead of send it back? - I find that kind of suspicious. (Fl Considers them basically a pest as a non-native species).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:53 pm »
The ones we shoot are definitely non-migratory....... anymore!  Web-footed rats!

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:52:48 pm »
Do you have a link?

I tried but was told I couldn't post it or would be thrown off.  The GOV   :roll: has a site that deals with REGULATION  :roll: that allows ypu to comment if you search for muscovy ducks.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:35:01 pm »
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/reg2010/Muscovy%20Duck%20Final%20Rule%201%20March%202010.pdf
Thanks for doing that. I understand muscovies are a pest down south but a lot of my friends raise them for meat up here.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:37:04 pm »
As far as I can see it's exactly the same as feral pigs - smoke 'em if you got 'em. -or keep them in a pen and raise them.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline fish_stix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 01:52:43 pm »
The rule plainly states that those who keep Muscovy ducks and have them when the rule is implemented will be allowed to continue keeping them. It also plainly states that those who raise and sell them for meat will be allowed to continue. The rule is trying to get controls on an invasive species. I happen to agree with that process. The darn birds are a mess here in FL. Our local public libraries and other facilities with ponds or creeks have Muscovy feces all over every bench, bush, sidewalk, tree and building on the property. Why? Because the little old ladies from NY, NJ, MA etc. come down here and feed them and think they're the cutist little critters, straight out of Disney. The cities can't get rid of them because of public protests from animal rights groups and tree huggers. This rule allows common sense control of an unwanted, dirty, non-native species. Shoot 'em or wring their necks and let the gators have 'em.  :roll:

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:39 pm »
Sorry to have started this. We don't have a problem up here with them going feral. I've pen raised them for meat as many of my friends have. Came across the article in my grandsons magazine that claimed they couldn't be sold for meat under proposed regs. the same as any game bird.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 08:50:06 pm »
Actually, the regulation change is not so that they can be dealt with as a non native invasive. There are other means to accomplish that such as declaring them so and banning the possession/trade and propogation of as they have with many other species. The reg was lobbied for and put in place by the USDA's wildlife services division, my taxpayer funded federal counterpart. Wildlife Services (WS) has been muscling in on the private sector NWCOs for over a decade now trying to take more of the market away from us. This is just but one of the many items on their agenda.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 06:45:09 pm »
The government is just trying to protect us........................ ;)

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 12:58:46 pm »
Why? Because the little old ladies from NY, NJ, MA etc. come down here and feed them and think they're the cutist little critters, straight out of Disney.

These little old ladies are obviously close to blind - muscovies are ugly as sin. I would rather feed pigeons, rats, or alligators.

anything