Welcome, Guest

Poll

Queen excluders - to use or not to use?

yes
6 (42.9%)
no
8 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: queen excluders  (Read 1906 times)

Offline whm3001

• Brood
queen excluders
« on: October 29, 2006, 01:47:47 pm »
Hello  :)

I searched, but wasn't able to find an answer to a question we've had for several years regarding queen excluders in general (I just registered at the site). What type of queen excluders have people had success with here? I have tried a variety of queen excluders, from the wooden frame wire grill type to the plastic sheet with elliptical holes type, and have never gotten any to work satisfactorily. I'm curious about others experiences -

Thanks!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
queen excluders
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 02:32:41 pm »
That is true. I have asked same thing. Beekeepers use excluder in many ways,  but clarification,  why they do so remains secret.

I have surfed in internet but I did not find the answer.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
queen excluders
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 02:32:44 pm »
I don't use excluders except in queen rearing.  I have not liked any of them much, but of all of them I prefer the wood bound metal ones.  The metal bound wire ones next.  The newer plastic ones that are round (not punched) aren't too bad.  The punched plastic are really only handly for cutting out and using in things like confinement cages etc.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
queen excluders
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 04:49:46 pm »
i have the all metal excluder.  i did use mine in a couple of different ways this year and was glad to have it.

when i used it below the honey supers, i had to put the supers on first and the excluder about 2 weeks later.  by doing this, the bees got a good start on the honey supers and continued to work them well after the excluder was in place.

i used it again to separate the queen from the top deep super in preparation for winter removal.  they hatched out the brood and later i removed the super.

it's my first year.  i understand that many do not like/use excluders.  for this year, i'd have to say that my experiences with it were positive.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
queen excluders
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 07:29:52 pm »
Queen excluders are useful in limited ways:
1.  As a drain stand top when uncapping.
2.  Retaining a hive of cutout bees preventing absconding.
3.  Running multiple queens in one hive.
4.  As a platform on which to set glass, can, or plastice feeders.
5.  To force the queen down if you don't want her laying in more than the bottom 2 supers.

Other than that they make good poultry cages when 6 are nailed together.

If you want honey producation leave it off the hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: queen excluders
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 11:24:54 am »
I don't use them exept some times I find a queen put the excluder on so I can come back and take the box knowing were the queen is for sure
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything