Welcome, Guest

Poll

Where is the best section of this site to get helpful advice

main bee keeping
4 (100%)
chat rooms
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Hello From Asheville,Nc  (Read 1973 times)

Offline heathnheaven

• New Bee
Hello From Asheville,Nc
« on: October 24, 2012, 07:56:36 am »
Hello, from Asheville Nc.. I Have been reading from this site for the last year but am finally joining in. I'm glad to be here and look forward to new friends and helpful advice. I'm am new to bee keeping.. this last may. I posted in the welcome page earlier about issues I was having.. Probly not the right place, but I'm just learning to use the site.. If anyone reads this please look at my earlier post and let me know any thing you may think. I included pics.. THANKS BEE MASTER FOR LETTING ME. Somebody repied look for eggs. There was only a few by the way.. Have a great day every one

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Hello From Asheville,Nc
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:42:57 am »
Welcome to the forum.  I did read your other post, I have had bees for a year, not sure about your bees.  I would check to see if you have a queen, if not get one or replace one if there.  But then it is getting late in the season, but wouldn't think brood would be that little, just my opinion.  As said I'm new also and am several miles south of you.  Maybe someone with more experience will be able to help.  Good luck to you and your bees, Heathnheaven.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:04:34 pm »
I looked at the pictures in your first post and I would be worried about this hive making it through the winter.  The queen does slow down in the winter but this time of year and your location, I would not expect her to slow down or stop as much as your pictures indicate.  I also do not see very many bees and not sure if it is because you shook them off the frame for the pictures.  How many hives do you have?  If you have more than one, it maybe time to combine this hive with another hive so they can survive the winter and then you can split them again in the spring. If this is your only hive and there aren't alot more bees that were not captured in the photos, I don't think I would try to requeen (if you can find one) this hive because of the lack of worker bees.

Offline heathnheaven

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:47:25 am »
I only have one hive and I did not shake off the bees for the pics. The outter frames are the ones with very few bees. The center 4 frames are well covered up with bees on both sides. Well I decided to go ahead and order a new package of bees and start a new hive. I could not find a queen when I did a thoughough inspection while taking these pics. Also just to note, the bottom brood boxwas very light. I could lift it with one finger. I will care for these little guys through the winter.. supplement with some pollen patties and hope for the best. I would not have thought that the queen would have stopped laying this much either. I did see queen cells just prior to this big drop in egg laying. I didn't know if I should remove them. before I could figure it out it was too late. Could I requeen now as a shot in the dark? in about 4 weeks i won't be able to open the hive. Too cold. Do you have any comments as far as the shape of combes that they have created and the random large combes that they built at the bottom of the combes.. Is it just bridge comb. 
[

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 07:38:22 pm »
Sounds as if they swarmed (late) on ya. You may have a virgin. I would leave them be for a couple of weeks and see.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything