Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How cold is too cold for removals??  (Read 10866 times)

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
How cold is too cold for removals??
« on: January 31, 2008, 01:23:15 am »
 Hey all,
 Just a quick question or advice. Got a call from a salvage yard, junk removal guy about removing a "box" of bees that were in the way. Sounds like it would be an easy way to get some free bees, Wrong. The box that he was refering to was an old tool box. It has been in the 30's to 40's most of the week but I dont want to break up the colony and freeze them by opening the box. He has agreed to let me take the box home but wants it back as soon as possible. I can't see where there would be anything of value in it, since the bees have moved in and covered everything with wax and properlis but anyway, to get to my point. How cold is too cold to remove them and put them in a proper home? Any input would be great. Someone told me to charge for the removal. How much are you to charge for removals? I thought that you did it for the free bees.  Thanks and Have a good day!
                                           Marcus
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: How cold is too cold for removals??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:29:49 am »
Marcus, I would want the temps to be no lower than 45F. Make sure you give them frames with brood if there is any, frames with bee bread and some honey so they won't starve. Depending on what's in the tool box, bee and comb wise, carefully consider what you will use to house them, be it a medium, deep or nuc. You don't want them to have too much space as they will have trouble keeping warm. Hope this helps, if you have other questions, ask away. As for as price, does the guy think there will be a charge? He may not want to pay much or anything if he thinks he can get it done for free. How badly do you want to do this one? If it takes you say 3 hrs to do, I would say a fair price would be in the $125.00 -$150.00 range. If its complicated, charge more/ You could also tell him you'll charge say $125.00 for the first 3 hrs and whatever you want an hr after that, $25.00, $50.00. This is something you will just have to work out for yourself. Treat yourself and the guy fairly, and you both win.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:08:04 am »
I have done a lot of removals, never charged anything. Do it for the bees.

I usually like to wait till the temps are in the 70s
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:17:28 am »
Thanks for the info, helped alot. I will try to barter a trade for the toolbox. I dont want to freeze the girls because we are not going to be in the 50's to 70 range for some time now.
                                                             Thanks again,
                                                              Marcus

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:28:15 am »
If it's not warm enough to feed them syrup to keep them alive then it's too early in the season to have them survive.  You can, of course, try to tie the honey into frames, but that has never worked well in my experience.  Of course it would be best if it's warm enough for them to fly or every bee that tries to fly off the combs will crash and freeze.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:41:22 am »
If the bees aren't flying it's to cold. I also wouldn't do a removal if the temps weren't at least 65F /  18 C. They should have been in that range for a few days and expected to stay in that range or warmer for a few days also.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 08:58:59 am »
I've gotten a few requests for removal already this year too.   I have been telling them late March/ early April depending on the weather.  They all understand.   I would tell this guy the same and that you will return the tool box then.   These bees didn't just move into this tool box,  they have obviously been there for a while.   A couple more months shouldn't be an issue.   

Charging is your call.   You can use it as part of the negotiations.   "If I remove them now the cost is $$$$ since the chances of them surviving is greatly reduced.  If you let me wait until Spring it will be much less (or free)"

I seemed to get at least one or two people contacting me in October, in a panic, to remove bees that have been there for months. I tell them if they had contacting me when they first moved in, the removal would have been possible, but their procrastination has now made it not possible until Spring.   It amazes me how the bees can be there for months, but when they finally decide to do something, it then becomes an emergency.

let us know how it goes.

Rob...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:23:55 am »
Some people don't want to wait or can't wait, I assumed this guy fell into one of those categories. Let me say however that I do agree with you guys about waiting to it warms, I believe that is best, but Marcus did ask what's the coldest temp you could do a cut-out, so there went my .02.

......JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:30:19 am »
last year, i did one in February.  it was a rare warm day. about 70 degrees.  problem was that the temp dropped the next day and it rained for a week.  i lost the hive, although i believe many of the workers integrated into other hives.  they were easy to spot as they were much darker.  it was not a matter of feeding.  i got plenty of the honey out of the hive.  i never did know if i got the queen.

if you want the bees to have the best chance, wait until it's warmer.  i only did that one to save them from the RAID can.  the guy wanted them out NOW!

i will continue to do it for free until i have the bees that i can use.  after that, i don't know that i'll do it at all.  maybe by then i'll have enough experience to mentor some others in doing hive removal.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline livetrappingbymatt

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 04:48:51 pm »
 :evil:Free is nice but when I go too the store they won't let me have products without paying for them! Is your GAS free? insurance free? free truck?
I like bees but also a warm house and a few other amenities!
bob evans

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 06:11:03 pm »
Is your GAS free? insurance free? free truck?

no....my bees are free.    :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 07:31:34 pm »
You buy a package for ($$$?) and what have you got? A bunch of sugar fed bees. Do a cut out and you got a bunch of bees, comb, brood, and natural bee food.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:18:47 am by Jerrymac »
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 01:54:22 am »
 Went to the location today, and it was the get them out by the weekend or he was going to kill them. I think that this is going to be an easy one, if there is such a thing. He let me have the tool box to take home until I can get them removed. This hive has been there for sometime. The tool box was full of bees and not happy to be messed with. I used a roll of screen to wrap around the box and a roll of duct tape to secure it. I got it set up and out of the elements. Just hope that my luck runs on and they make it to Spring. I was reading Understudy's post about the bees in the cooler, these were in a situation that was about as bad. In the back of an old box truck that had caved in on them while they were living in an old wood tool box. If they can make it through all of that they will really like the nice hive that I built for them. Thanks for all of the information and advice,
                                                        Marcus

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 07:50:45 am »
Might this bee the time for some of us to make a full depth or two medium boxes like an ob hive to set up in a basement or something. The bottom opening closed with a screen and maybe a shim top closed up with the exception of a tube running outside?
When warmer weather returns,close off the tube ,move it outside and put a conventional top on?
Just a thought,never tried something like this.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 10:36:22 am »
Ken, that sounds like a great idea to me.

......JP

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 08:36:20 am »
how did this work out

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 09:46:58 pm »
 They made it to Spring and are now living in a double deep hive and doing well. They are tough little ladies. Found the queen on the second chunk of comb that I pulled out. There was enough comb to fill 8 deep frames, not alot of honey left when I got to them but they are alive. As far as the "free hives" that I have had sent my way, this one was the most unique.
                                                Marc

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 12:51:31 am »
Too cool and congrats!! :lol:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 06:01:59 pm »
just wondering. i did a cut out on sat 7/19/08  and hopeing they will build up enough for winter hoping for a good golden rod flow in the fall . i did get the queen  and some brood but not a lot of the workers.

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 09:33:39 am »
 I did one last week, as well. Kind of darned if you do darned if you don't. I hope that they make it as well. They had 6 frames of brood and 4 frames of honey. They were a little black bee with an attitude. Looked like a Russian but a little different. Yes, I hope that the Goldenrod flow is a big one. I have several nucs that need it.  If not, look out Sams Club and the sugar isle.
                                                 Good Luck,
                                                  Marc

anything