Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two interesting questions  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Two interesting questions
« on: March 13, 2006, 12:08:35 am »
Well I hope they are intersting to enough to answer them.
1. Today I was in the grocery store and looking at the honey on the shelves. I noticed on the bottles it said" Do not give honey to children under 1 year of age." My question is why? Not that I am planning on giving it to kids just looking for an education.

2. My hives are attracting another guest. Shinning Beetles. They are much larger then small hive beetles and they are not in the hive. They are going after the sugar water jar feeder and the remants of the powdered sugar used to treat for mites and other items. I usually sweep most of it away but little remnants and the feeder jars have turned the jars into the hippest nightspot in my yard. The beetles get kicked out by the bees in the morning. My question is what danger if any do shinning beetles present?

Also the beetles make great snacks for my hedgehog.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Two interesting questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 11:10:22 am »
Question 1:

Botulism - Honey contains botulism spores and infants under a year can not tolerate it like those older than a year.

Question 2:

Can't help, I have no idea.   If they do become a problem, remove the sugar sources and hopefully they will go away.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison