Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guineas fly?  (Read 4448 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Guineas fly?
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:52:13 am »
So my Guineas are 4 weeks old today. One of them flew nearly six feet up in about a 3 foot distance and crashed into the wall. Just wondering how much higher and farther she/he would have gone out in the open.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Guineas fly?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 10:34:37 am »
They are pretty good fliers.   It is pretty wooded around here, so I can say how far they can fly, but mine get 20-30 feet up in the trees without a problem.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37:52 am »
They like to roost sometimes in tree tops like turkeys according to my feed guy.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:51:27 am »
Jerry, well....did the bird fair OK?  Hope it didn't smash a wing or something....it is amazing how quickly birds hone those flying skills eh?  How do you like their sounds, like that squeeky old gate.  I heard a whack of guineas cranking away one day, that kind of turned me off them, but it was still an interesting sound.  The way things echo around our place with the bushes and all, I don't think that I could stand the sound of them, but they are most certainly the most gorgeous bird, I must give them that.  Beautiful day, wonderful life, what more could we ask.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 11:57:23 am »
As has been said, yup, they fly. Most often they'll fly up into trees to roost. Once they do, good luck getting them down. Mine only fly over the fence every now and then when I am chasing them. Otherwise, they really just stick to running around on the ground and tormenting the chickens . . . and ducks.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 12:24:54 pm »
The bird is fine. Didn't get hurt at all.

:-D No trees  :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 01:24:23 pm »
They can fly very well.  Not the migratory type flights but can get to tall tall trees, on top of the barn, house & over fences! Unless they are startled or it's nighty night they run around very fast, it's so fun to watch them.  I toss out the mash I make for the cockatiels when I put in new & call Ginny, tapping the bowl. She comes running, little flaps on her cheeks bobbing all the way.  She doesn't bully the chickens but they move away for her, she's smaller than all of them now.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:25:59 am »
they run around very fast, it's so fun to watch them. 

We call it the guinea races.  They are a blast to watch. Their heads high in the air with the wings "cocked up"  for that aerodynamic effect ;)  They are like the energizer bunny too.  They keep going and going and going... :shock:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:05:38 am »
I've never actually seen them in any sustained flight but they'll fly up and then glide across a field.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 04:34:04 pm »
Mine roosted on the top of my barn maybe 50-55 ft.  I think they laddered up a dead elm to get that high.  They really bullied my chickens, pecking and pulling feathers.  Also I hope you like getting up early because they will make a awful racket at the very first hind of daylight.  I couldn't take it so I ate them

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »
Right now it is the roosters that make all the noise. Before the sun even hints at coming up, and the birds are in a building, I hear them doing their thing.

A while back a couple of family members thought it was cool to put some of that clear silicone stuff on a big red ant bed and watch the ants get stuck in it. The chickens found it sometime later and I guess they think it is huge worms. They grab it and run around with it playing keep away. This morning one of the guineas had a peace of it and appeared to be trying really hard to shake it to pieces. My wife and I cornered it and when I grabbed it s/he dropped it. That's when I could tell it was 4 inches down the birds throat.  :shock:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 11:02:18 am »
Jerry, oh that was bad about the silicone and it being down the throat so far.  My experience here.  I had to pull a hunk of polyprolene bailing twine out from one of my ducks that was swallowing it.  It took me several minutes to pull this twine out, ever so slowly, I was scared for its life.  When I told this tale, one person told me that I was fortunate I removed it because if the twine had gotten into the gullet (I think that is what it was called), the bird body may have thought it was full and it may have starved to death.  I make it a point when I am walking around the chickenyards to remove anything plastic like that (or anything else non-edible like that).  Ducks are notorious for wanting to play with shiney things, like plastic and the likes.  Good that you got that silicone thingy out!!!  BEautiful and most wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service