Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hopguard vs. Oxalic  (Read 4013 times)

Offline jharris

• New Bee
Hopguard vs. Oxalic
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:06 pm »
I'm a hobbyist beekeeper trying to grow into a sideline business in Central Fl with 10 hives and went with trying Hopguard for my Fall mite treatments. I was originally planning on trying oxalic acid dribble but the Hopguard application seemed simpler and with less reported effect on brood laying. After applying Hopguard and then reading up a little more I went ahead and treated 3 times over 3 weeks which wasn't as simple as Hopguard originally seemed to advertise. Anyone out there with experience using hopguard vs. oxalic? Pros and cons from actual experience?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Hopguard vs. Oxalic
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 04:22:52 pm »
Oxalic dribble requires a broodless colony which I doubt you ever have in FL.  My opinion of hopguard is its to messy and just plain stinks.  After using it everything including the cab of my truck stunk for a month.    I'll never use it again. 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 11:30:25 am »
Ditto on hop guard being messy.   Stained up my basement concrete.  But I still have a bit left over to use rather than wasting. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 04:48:19 pm »
I traded a unopened package of hopguard for a 30 pack of budlight.   I know I got the best end of that  deal

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 12:18:19 pm »
OA is going to be a lot cheaper also....... Haven't used hopgaurd,  but happy with OA

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:24:09 pm »
try cutting out the drone comb
jAY

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 08:00:07 pm »
I do realize hopguard is and approved productin In lot of states I don't know about Florida .I also know oxailc is not approved to be used in beehives in the USA.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

anything