Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Painful  (Read 8024 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Painful
« on: February 25, 2008, 12:35:49 pm »
Shipping and handling that is...outright painful...Ordered 50 frames from Dadant...the $34.90..and the S&H was $25. something...crazeee!!!!!!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Painful
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:52:47 pm »
doesn't mann lake have a warehouse close to you?  seems that might be cheaper?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:28:19 pm »
no doubt shipping and handling is getting crazy.  Diesel is $3.50 per gallon now...
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:36:34 pm »
Hopefully you didn't order from their headquarters in Illinois... :roll:
Rick

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:49:33 pm »
doesn't mann lake have a warehouse close to you?  seems that might be cheaper?
That's what I was thinking. The Mann Lake catalog lists about a half dozen authorized dealers in California - are you close to any of them? Might be worth the drive to save the shipping. Seems like some of the other big suppliers have west coast outlets as well.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:29 pm »
Both Dadant & MannLake have California outlets...the $25. was from shipping out of Fresno...guess it still beat driving 3 hours to Fresno...hhhhmmm  dern it...

I gotta be more creative here...hhhmmmm

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:56:04 pm »
I ordered 100 frames and 10 brood boxes....70$ for shipping and they're about 250 miles away.
your friend,
john

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 12:29:50 am »
Are you north or south of fresno?  It is the wood weight that gets you.  I guess I am lucky I live 30 min away. If you are north Mann Lakesn  big one is in Woodland. And they have a pick up only place in bakersfield.

Angi

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:33:58 am »
I can relate...had an order from Betterbee- 98 bucks...with shipping, 225.  Hate to say it but I will probably never order any more woodenware from anyone. Not the company fault, it is the monsters in the oil industry. Even with the rather high cost of wood, it is still cheaper, when shipping is factored in, to build my own. Well, ok, I just lied. My Dad builds... I am a wood butcher. I am really good at telling him what I want, does that count for anything?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:10:39 am »
This is why we take advantage of the Brushy Mountain free shipping days in December.  We haven't paid freight yet for all of the woodenware we've purchased (our first order to them was as new beekeepers, they also offer free shipping then through club affiliations).

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:42:10 am »
That is so cool about Brushy, and if they ever extend that offer to those of us on the west coast, well I'm there!  It would be cool if even they gave us 1/2 off S&H..oh well, I really shouldn't complain, but misery loves company hahahaha...

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 07:37:09 pm »
Hey stungalot!
 Thats cool about you dad building stuff for you!
 I do the same thing! My dad builds the side pieces to my bottom boards. I've considered having him build my bee boxes, you know, putting the notches in the edges and stuff like that. Only thing stopping me is the fact that as he's gotten older(78) he tends to think too hard and if he messes up I dont have the heart to tell him about it. I like the feeling I get by giving him something to do. I think it makes him feel useful. I mean, he's still useful, and as a matter of fact he can work me into the ground. Last project we had was when we built my last pigeon loft! he'd be here in the AM when I left for work and not leave till a few hours after I had got home from work! Then, When i was gone, he'd be all up and down that roof! After i'd look at how he puts a ladder up there and crawls up I'd be picturing him all day long falling off the ladder! I cant tell him NOT to help me though as he LOVES to help me and work with wood. Soooo,...I just hope for the best when I'm gone..

I'm tellin' ya.....I have REALLY been blessed by God for the parents i have and double blessed for the fact that they're still here!
ok,...ramblin'....

your friend,
john

Offline Sir Stungalot

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 10:03:01 pm »
John...ha ha ha...I so know what you mean about having great parents!  My Dads kicks my butt all over the place when it comes to being usefull.  He has givin up on me a long time ago and now takes pity on me.  My kids even shame me, they say that I am merely "decorative" and have no real function.  Hurumph! I have my uses...SOMEBODY has to take out the garbage!
Even at 44 years old..I would be lost without my parents. My bees would be in bad shape too, probably living in some broken down trailer with a flat tire.

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 10:45:08 pm »
I know what you mean about shipping ,,, on most  things the shipping comes to a 3rd or more
of what you pay for the product that your ordering ...   sometimes more .   

One day I told my dad that the fence should bee at the other corner of the house ,,, the next day was a real bad day at work ...  but when I got home there dad was fence in hand ,, all dug up wanting to know were I wanted it ,   
wish he was still here to annoy me like that,....
the kid

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 12:26:48 am »
Wish my Pop was here too...he would have loved this beekeeping.  He would have been building me up a storm of hive bodies supers and all..and he probably would have added some garish embellishments on the exteriors as well...c'est la vie

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 08:42:14 am »
Wish my Pop was here too...he would have loved this beekeeping.  He would have been building me up a storm of hive bodies supers and all..and he probably would have added some garish embellishments on the exteriors as well...c'est la vie
My dad did beekeep, about three years before he got sick.  The honey was wonderful.  I'd love to be able to share it with him now.  :'(

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 12:20:51 am »
Its too bad all people in the world didnt have dads like we do(or did)
 I cant speak for everybody here but....Some dads just dont seem the same as 40 or 50 years ago..I see this in myself...I dont do much with my son, its been like that ever since I met him(at 6 years old)He was a "Video Kid" and only grew if he was fertilized by a video game or a TV...I was ALWAYS an outside person..Its too bad...WE didnt want anything to do with each others world. I dont really know why this was the way it happened, but it did.Sometimes I think it was because In reality I should have been his GRAMPA, And I remember my grampas didnt do much with us kids.
 I DO see things where I should be more involved with Brad by looking back at how my dad was with me.
  The moment I realized how much my dad loved me is still vivid in my memories.
 I got in trouble with the law when I was 18..(First of many times).
Well, first i called my sister to get me out..All she says is "What'd you do a stupid thing like that for?"...Then mom shows up and says,"Why in the hell did you do a stupid thing like that?".....Then dad show up, And i was reallt freakin' about what he was gonna say,...And he comes up to me and says,"Are you OK?"..I said "Sure dad, I'm ok,"....Dad says,"Good,...Thats all that matters then, son."
  Dad and I were best friends after that...I still got into a lot of scrapes with the law after that, but even tho I was the one doing wrong, I never had a doubt if my dad loved me. He's had my back all my life, and now that he's older I always have his...And I realize I owe him everything.
Ok,..better go to the next thread before I start bawling!!
your friend,
john

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 02:54:21 am »
Johnny,

That's a purely loving story...we are fortunate to have had loving Dad's.

If you ever get a chance to see a special called "The Story of Fathers and Sons" I highly recommend it.  It was on around Father's Day one year...I haven't see it since, but you reminded me of it...we have our loving memories eh?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 11:45:55 am by DayValleyDahlias »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 11:51:37 am »
John, or is it Johnny, what is the preference in your world?  We need to be in your world, so tell us your preferred name.

Your story was beautiful.  I was a troubled young lady too.  My Dad still loved me, I knew that, and he was always, always there.  Wish he was still.  He has an Altzhiemer's related dementia and is in a home.  It is gut wrenching.  He doesn't know me or anyone.  He was a family man, loved his children and would do anything to support and love us.   I have wonderful memories of this great Man, and will always cherish what he taught me.  Ooops, I had better close, or I will be bawling too.  Have a wonderful, great day, love our life we hold in the palm of our hands.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 11:28:51 pm »
I hate to say this people, but I can't relate with the emotional parts described in Johnny's tale.  The reason is that I have Alexythemia which is not being able to access emotions.  I'm pretty much a robot when it comes to touchy feely things cause I just don't get it.  Once in a great while a flicker of emotion will ooze out but for the most part I'm pretty much the same whether in a tempest or a teapot.   I envy you the ability to relish life, I wish I could but I'm more of the Forest Gump type emotionally,  #$@& happens.  No big deal, handle it and move on.  During the death of my parents (6 months apart) I let out 1 single solotary sob at my Father's funeral, just before I got up to give my talk on the things I had learned from him.  It was during the preperation of that talk that I realized how much he had done for me and also what I had learned from others.  I resolved to pass on what I'd learned so I returned to being involved in the world of beekeeping after a 35 year hermitcy.  Still I did it because I realized it was the proper thing to do, not because I was influenced by emotion. 

My wife tells me I am missing out on life, the ups and downs, the glee and the gloom, etc.  Maybe I am but to me the things I encounter are life and it's my responsiblity to handle them, joy, bliss, sarrow, etc., are things that come later...after death.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!