Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: From Texas Here.  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
From Texas Here.
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:51:45 am »
Hi Everyone,I had a hive back in the 80s but something happened to it,i will never know. Now my son wanted to get into bee keeping and I said lets go for it.We just started in April but doing good. Our queen died three weeks ago or they killed her,so we bought an other and split the hive.We put the bought queen with half and put the queen cells with the other half.They both took off great.
  Well I'm 63 and love bees and my son does too.
 John
   :bee:
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: From Texas Here.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:39:04 am »
Hello and Welcome Johnny

There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:31:29 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 02:54:30 pm »
Joelel. Welcome to our forum, wonderful that you have found us.  Wonder what happened to your bees, so long ago?  Things do happen, and sometimes we just don't know.  That is a beautiful thing that your Son wanted to get into bees and you both went for it.  You have been held deeply under the spell of the honeybee, we all are.  So many members here tell the tale of having kept bees years before, got out of it, only to return, that is the compelling nature of these little beauties.  Have fun with your Son.  I am sure that you can teach him many things about keeping the bees, beautiful.  This will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences -- to people who really do care, that will shine forth.  Stick around.  We love new members and love to listen and help.  So nice to hear that the colonies are flourishing.  Have that wonderful day, to love and it and live it, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 06:24:35 pm »
Hello and Welcome Johnny

There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Hi,You made me think of my Dad when calling me Johnny,my dad is the only one I remember calling me that.I loved him very much,he is passed in Jan.1999.
 Yes I have some questions,I have learned so much in the past 5 months on the net.Back in the 80s when I was into bees there was no net.
  John

:bee:
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 06:26:15 pm »

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 06:33:45 pm »
Joelel. Welcome to our forum, wonderful that you have found us.  Wonder what happened to your bees, so long ago?  Things do happen, and sometimes we just don't know.  That is a beautiful thing that your Son wanted to get into bees and you both went for it.  You have been held deeply under the spell of the honeybee, we all are.  So many members here tell the tale of having kept bees years before, got out of it, only to return, that is the compelling nature of these little beauties.  Have fun with your Son.  I am sure that you can teach him many things about keeping the bees, beautiful.  This will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences -- to people who really do care, that will shine forth.  Stick around.  We love new members and love to listen and help.  So nice to hear that the colonies are flourishing.  Have that wonderful day, to love and it and live it, health.  Cindi

Hi Cindi,I think what happened to my bees in the 80s is,I went to the hive and there was nothing but fire ants there,think they drove them off. Well,my son is very smart and with all his being able to pick up things easy,he taught me a few things.
 John

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 08:04:47 pm »
Welcome Joelel, Hope you and your son does well with the bees.
Bobby

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:03:41 pm »
Hey John!
where in Tx are you?
Im in Wichita Falls, up near the red river.
yeh,...John...Johnny,........Theres lots of us in here, isnt there, guys!
your friend,
john

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 01:04:51 am »
Hey John!
where in Tx are you?
Im in Wichita Falls, up near the red river.
yeh,...John...Johnny,........Theres lots of us in here, isnt there, guys!
your friend,
john
Hi John,I'm about 60 miles north of Houston In the middle of Sam Houston National forest out side a little town called New Waverly.
 John

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 11:34:49 am »
Oh John!!!  That is horrible.  I bet those ants would drive anything away from their home, hideous, the poor bees.  Have a great and most wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline sparks

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 12:20:55 pm »
John,

Welcome to the group.  I live a bit south of you down in central texas.  Temperature here today will make it to 104 degrees.  I guess that global warming is finally catching on with mother nature.   :)   Your 80s experience reminded me that I have to do something in my bee yard about the fire ants.  They stayed away for the first couple of months but have now found the place. 

I hope that yoiu enjoy all the good folks here and the great information.

Chuck Sparks

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:17:17 pm »
John,

Welcome to the group.  I live a bit south of you down in central texas.  Temperature here today will make it to 104 degrees.  I guess that global warming is finally catching on with mother nature.   :)   Your 80s experience reminded me that I have to do something in my bee yard about the fire ants.  They stayed away for the first couple of months but have now found the place. 

I hope that yoiu enjoy all the good folks here and the great information.

Chuck Sparks

Hi,Maybe we can get together some time and say hi. The best thing i found for ants and all crawling insects is,put grease around the bottoms of all legs,then keep grass cut. Put it from ground up about 6 inches.
 John