Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do for serious diarrhea in my observation hive?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline kinderbee

• New Bee
What to do for serious diarrhea in my observation hive?
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:57:13 am »
Thanks in advance for your help.

I've got serious diarrhea in my observation hive.
I'm assuming the bees have nosema and I have gotten fumigilan to treat.
My biggest question is will the fumigilan cure the sick bees or just prevent infection in the ones that remain healthy.  It doesn't look like there are too many of those.  Am I fighting a losing battle?
I opened the hive 2 days ago, removed the frames and put in fresh foundation, so they've got no comb now.  I cleaned the hive with boiling water and put my remaining girls back in.  After one day the hive is stinking and smeared with brown drips. 

What do you think?  Also what dosage of fumigilan and sugar:water ratio should I use?

Thanks for any advice

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What to do for serious diarrhea in my observation hive?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 11:21:45 pm »
Feeding anything (honey or sugar syrup) will clear up dysentary.  Even if they have nosema, which you don't know unless you examine the contents of their guts under a microscope, feeding will clear that up as well.  Honey Bee Healthy (HBH) will also do it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#nosema
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesterms.htm#fumidil
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JhnR

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 03:28:20 pm »
I had some warm weather here in the north and noticed the bee cleansing flights. They were the color of dark chocolate. Is this dysentery?? I did add frames of pollen and honey.

John

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 09:50:27 pm »
I had some warm weather here in the north and noticed the bee cleansing flights. They were the color of dark chocolate. Is this dysentery?? I did add frames of pollen and honey.

John

DArk chocolate is normal, dysentary is yellowish to orange in color.  If you notice those colors feeding either HBH or AC Vinegar in the syrup will set things right.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline kinderbee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:12 am »
Thank you all for your information.  Special thanks to Michael Bush for the links to your website.  You've got great information there.  I've only used this forum a handful of times, Michael, but each time I've had a question I've really appreciated you taking the time to share your rich experience.  Thanks again.