Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 1985 times)

Offline kattz

• New Bee
Few questions
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:26:32 pm »

I have just a question to ask or a few. When you first get you bees do you wait until you get about 8 frames on your brood box filled before adding another?

Then once you get those 2 full how many honey shallow supers to you add and when?

Finally when you do get honey do you only grab a few full frames to get the honey out or a full super? As always thank you for answer my questions

Offline Rodni73

• House Bee
Re: Few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 12:39:43 pm »
Hi!

I am a beginner but from what I read is you use the 7/7 rule! When your bees draw combs on 7 frames you add a supper and you keep on going...! The rest of the questions, I am sure there are a great number of pro's who will answer them

-Regards
-Rodni

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:47 pm »
I have just a question to ask or a few. When you first get you bees do you wait until you get about 8 frames on your brood box filled before adding another?

When 7 or 8 are full, then yes, that is a good time.

Then once you get those 2 full how many honey shallow supers to you add and when?

How big of boxes are you using?  I use all mediums and I consider 3 of them (2 deep equivalent) as the brood box, although I use an open brood nest so the whole hive is a brood box if the queen wants it to be.  I started using an excluder for making comb honey, which I do in the shallows.  So, to answer your question a bit better...when your "brood box" is around 7 or 8 frames full, go ahead an add the shallows.  If there is a flow going on, adding a few should be ok.

Finally when you do get honey do you only grab a few full frames to get the honey out or a full super?

Whatever suits you best.  I try to take the full super and I think most do.  Sometimes there's only a little bit to take.  If that's the case, take it or leave it for the bees.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:59:56 pm »
If seven to eight (of 10) frames are full (or nearly full), it's time to add that second brood box!

Once the second brood box (or third if you are using mediums) is 7-8 frames full, then add an excluder (if you are going to use one to keep the queen in the lower brood boxes) and honey supers as follows:

1.  Starting with just foundation in your frames, add one honey super at a time as above.  Kinda, a "fill as you go" guideline. 

2.  Starting with frames of drawn comb in your honey supers, then add all of your honey supers at one time.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:36:08 pm »
Keep in mind this rule is for a struggling hive getting started.  Once they have two deeps or three mediums or four eight frame mediums full of bees and comb, you can pile the supers on three or four or five at a time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:38:16 pm »
Odds are good, though, that you aren't going to get a surplus your first year. If you put honey supers on, be sure you aren't feeding...sugar syrup isn't nectar, and sugar-syrup-based whatever isn't honey.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

anything