Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how long will bees make it without a queen.  (Read 1746 times)

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
how long will bees make it without a queen.
« on: September 05, 2009, 05:30:07 pm »
took a look  at a hive to day seen thay were a little weak  when  i  looked  in little brood  thay had filled in alot of  poll. and  honey  tryed  to queen  cell  it nothen it it i seen .    ok i have  a queen on way be here next  wed.  will thay be ok   do i nead  to let them  let her out  or just turn  her out myself 
your frend   hardtime

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: how long will bees make it without a queen.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:04:03 pm »
if you can take a frame of brood from another hive...older brood and larvae that they can't make queen cells out of, that would help a lot and hopefully keep them from developing laying workers before your queen arrives.  i would let them let her out or not release her before a few days have gone by.

are you very sure that you have no queen?  a lot of queens have not been laying with weather, lack of food, etc.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:20:04 pm »
sounds like you may have a queen that has shut down and they are back filling the brood chamber getting ready for winter I would put in a frame of eggs to see if they try to make a queen. If it is week you may concider combining with another hive then splitting in the spring back to two
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 01:30:10 pm »
I have a similar situation with my two hives,

I am feeding this week due to lack of honey stores and planning to check the hives again in a week to see more clearly what might be going on.  I think we are supposed to have a late flow in GA.

One hive has very little larva and the other has none that i can find.  Plenty of capped brood in both hive.  Few honey stores.  No SHB or mites.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP