Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is a summer/fall start feasible?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Vetch

• House Bee
Is a summer/fall start feasible?
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:08:34 pm »
I took a one day course this spring and have been reading on the basics.  Going to order 2 hives soon.  Is it possible to start in August/September in north Florida?? We have stuff that blooms year round, but definitely less in the winter.  Looking around, it seemed most places that sell bees are geared to the spring. Any thoughts. 

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Re: Is a summer/fall start feasible?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:06:33 am »
    Where you're at it should be possible.  I would try for as soon as possible.  If someone in a local club may be able to help you out.  A friend of mine got started last year from a fellow member of a nonbeek club in August and fed them like there was no tommorrow.  They wintered okay and are going great.  I never knew he was interested until he asked me if I had any foundation he could borrow. :shock:

Just the same I would double check with someone there with experience of the region.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: Is a summer/fall start feasible?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:30:38 am »
Not sure of your nectar flows, but assuming that you routinely get into the 60's you can although you may need to feed throughout.

Rick
Rick