Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Will the fall flow last long  (Read 2502 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Will the fall flow last long
« on: October 03, 2006, 01:13:09 am »
Howdy

Ok we have cool nites and warm days like in the 80's and my girls are going at it like crazy all flying in different directions and coming in with little pollen and more heavy with nothing so i guess they have found a good source and a darn good one at that. The hives have this butterscotch smell and they are fanning like crazy they are out as soon as the sun comes up and by afternoon they are boiling out of the entrances and they all get jammed up trying to getin and out. But my big hive has not moved up into the deep that has all drawn comb it seems that they are feeding brood so i am going to start feeding them the see if i can get them to fill most of the bottom up so the queen will slow down. All my queens are going at it full blast and it does not get really cold until after december.

Tom

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 09:42:59 pm »
It may last until the first frost.  It may not last that long.  This year, we never had one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:39 am »
This year, we never had one.

Our fall flow sucked this year also.  I am surprised to see that other parts of the country are reporting the same situation.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline tom

• House Bee
Fall flow seems to going ok so far
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 08:40:16 pm »
Hello

So far our fall flow seems to be going ok all hives are out at first sun light and they don't stop till almost dark. They are fanning and the hive smells of butterscotch and i took alook in my third hive and they have honey filled around the tops parts of the frames and plenty of pollen and the queen is laying good and the hive is filling up with bees and i also saw some young bees coming out and they did not have any deformed wings and the ones that are are being throwed out. they do have a small mite problem but they are working like crazy.

Tom

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 09:49:58 am »
We had a great fall nectar flow here.  The only problem is that it has rained all but 3 days of it!!  The few sunny warm days sure did smell bad :D
Rick

Offline tom

• House Bee
It is going to rain here
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 05:21:23 pm »
Howdy All

It is going to rain here tomarrow or tonite and it is going to cool down some but my girls are really busy by the rain we have gotten and then these warm days must have really made the flowers bloom here. I am getting a great humming from all three hives and even thou i have mites in only one they are really going to town working plenty of pollen and honey stored and my queens are laying good patterns so things may go well for me i have food on hand if they fall short but i don't think that is going to happen.

Tom

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 10:01:45 pm »
The Fraser valley where I live the fall flow is almost over for nectar most places, but my girls have all the sunshine they want, and are having a brood boost right now, I broke them down to two hive bodies a while back now, and they have way more frames of sealed brood in the lower box now.  Lots of pollen coming in, and my strongest hive is still foraging more I think, because its taking back syrup much slower than the weaker.  Weights are about the same, back breaking... :D

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
Alot of goldenrod down here in MS
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 10:22:10 pm »
Today, I looked at an 1,100 acre industrial site that use to be a cotton and soybean fields.   Easily over 600 acres was nothing but GR.  Solid gold.
Chuck and Fran

Offline Zoot

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 11:25:03 pm »
It's been going strong here until today when it turned cold and rainy. I've noticed a distinct "butterscotch" smell coming from my hives too ..is it from honey fermenting? I don't recall noticing it during the spring or summer flows.

anything