Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something I don't understand about cut-outs...  (Read 6067 times)

Offline madscientist

• New Bee
Something I don't understand about cut-outs...
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:54:38 pm »
I'm surprised that homeowners are willing to let non-tradesmen (i.e. not carpeters or electricians, etc) come onto their property and have free reign with a saw and axe in order to remove bees....or am I missing something?

If you do cut-outs, do you get the owner to sign a waiver saying that you are not responsible for repairing any damage to their structure?
What's the most extensive amount of er... alteration, that you folks have performed in order to remove bees?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Something I don't understand about cut-outs...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:47:34 pm »
I'm surprised that homeowners are willing to let non-tradesmen (i.e. not carpeters or electricians, etc) come onto their property and have free reign with a saw and axe in order to remove bees....or am I missing something?
Try to find a tradesmen that will do a bee removal.

If you do cut-outs, do you get the owner to sign a waiver saying that you are not responsible for repairing any damage to their structure?
What's the most extensive amount of er... alteration, that you folks have performed in order to remove bees?

Yes I have a contract that the owner must sign.  I also require them to be on site and I review any destruction that I will need to do, before I do it. 

Mostly just removing siding or sheet rock.  I would never cut into any structural supports.   If a job requires more than siding or sheetrock, I ussually recommend a trap out.  Slate roofs, brick walls, etc...

[/quote]
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline MollySuesHoney

• New Bee
    • Molly Sue's Honey
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:08:08 pm »
Ditto to Robo; even though I am a contractor/carpenter.
Lawrence Underwood

Mobile, Alabama

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:36:51 pm »
Here's the real issue...if exterminators are refusing to do the job, and carpenters/tradesmen won't, who else will? Beekeepers. So like any other skilled job, it's up to the homeowner to take bids from those willing and choose one. Hopefully they find someone who will do a good enough job to not give beekeepers a bad name, but really, we're the only option they have.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 12:06:50 am »
If there are structural concerns I have a contractor friend who happens to be my fix it man as well come in and tell me what I can and can't cut, We looked at one today where the hive is inside of a chimney that will have to be taken apart and rebuilt to remove the bees.

Most extensive one I've done was a historical building that involved removing old bricks and putting them back using a special mortar mix called lime putty, Also had to rent a bucket lift as the bees were about 32' up.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:45:17 am »
The fire department did a removal in Lubbock last week. Used the axes to chop into the wall and soaked it all down with foam. Just cause some kids had to throw rocks at the bees  :roll:

Guess that is another option
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline madscientist

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:18:25 pm »
JP, it sounds like you actually repair your cut-outs or subcontract with someone to do it for you.  Do you think this is expected by folks calling in a beekeeper?  Do you charge extra for doing this?
I was under the impression that the beekeeper went in, got the bees, and that it was then up to the property owner to arrange for the repair.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 12:29:57 pm »
JP, it sounds like you actually repair your cut-outs or subcontract with someone to do it for you.  Do you think this is expected by folks calling in a beekeeper?  Do you charge extra for doing this?
I was under the impression that the beekeeper went in, got the bees, and that it was then up to the property owner to arrange for the repair.

I give two prices sometimes three, concerning different options, one would be I remove the bees, period, customer does the putting back.

Two, I remove and put back, if its a plywood floor I cut, or vinyl siding and end cap, I put back. I don't do sheetrock or stucco, my guy does that.

Three, remove, put back and extra beeproofing, not just where the bees were but the adjoining areas and maybe that entire side of the house.

Its good to have contractor connections, y'all can help each other, and some people want you to take care of everything, its just easier for them, they don't have to make a bunch of calls, etc...

In my area I am competeing against a few companies/individuals that remove and put back, so yes, I have to give options on some jobs or I don't get the job, and yes I charge extra for extras.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 09:24:15 pm »
i stick to outbuildings for the most part.  in the case of the apartment that i was going to do, it was a matter of removing some paneling from a deck wall.  i told the manager that i would do the taking apart, but she'd have to put it back together.  she thought that was a good deal, but ended up canceling on me when she got sick. 

since i don't charge, i can be picky about the jobs.  i don't want to get into something that will cause major destruction, or will take more time that it is worth to me.  outbuildings are easy  :-).
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 10:03:14 pm »
since i don't charge, i can be picky about the jobs.  i don't want to get into something that will cause major destruction, or will take more time that it is worth to me.  outbuildings are easy  :-).

I understand being picky about the jobs, but I can't imagine not charging for cutouts, even the "easy" ones! How can you tell how involved it will be until you start?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 10:29:42 pm »

I understand being picky about the jobs, but I can't imagine not charging for cutouts, even the "easy" ones! How can you tell how involved it will be until you start?

It all starts with a very thorough inspection, paying attention to what's adjacent to the colony, electrical conduit, lights, water pipes, etc... You want as much info as you can before you procede, what direction do the floor or ceiling joists run, etc...

Even after that, there are hidden variables that come into play once you get into the job, the "surprises" I find revolve around construction tolerances or intolerances if you will, gaps that shouldn't be there, insulation that should be there.

In a nutshell always count on there being hidden surprises with bees, and then you don't always know all of the facts in regards to what has been done in the past by the homeowner or the people who owned the house before them.

Also, remember that what you see is not always what you get, they could have swarmed out more than a few times and what appears to be an easy job turns into removing 10,000 bees but comb that supported a 70,000 bee colony just weeks ago.

I try and give prices that have a range, top end or lower, and I explain that there are often hidden variables that affect pricing.

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 12:02:39 am »
i'm not interested in running a business, just in keeping my own yard up.  i may have to charge for gas next year.  at least for the cutouts that are a distance away.  diesel is a killer these days.

i picked up 4 nice new hives this year.  even taking into account time and gas, i spent less than buying packages.  i also have gotten some bees that appear to be great stock.  no  mites and wonderful recovery from the cutout.  one of my swarms was huge.  the other was from a long established feral colony.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 04:12:54 pm »
w/ price of bees and shipping, swarms and cutouts are getting less expensive in comparison. Especially if you charge a nominal fee for just gas . I charge for cutouts, and do hanging swarms for free. I ask for donations, next year i will insist for donations for club. I also take great care to preseve their genetics when possible. IF, these bees have any resistance to mites, I will also save on meds for mites. My Purvis bees seem to have no resistance to mites, while my ferals are chugging along. My Minn hygenics do better then the purvis too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".