Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in the eaves.  (Read 3165 times)

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Bees in the eaves.
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:39:19 pm »
I guess it's better than having bats in the belfry (sorry).

I haven't seen it, but when one of my neighbors today found that I was keeping bees. He told me about his neighbor, who has had bees in his eaves for at least five years and hasn't done anything about it.  From what was described to me, there is a gap between his chimney and his eaves that the bees have exploited and they actually swarmed last year.

Is there any good guidance where you all can direct me to perhaps handle this situation?  I would love to take care of my neighbor's problem and get another productive hive going, but it doesn't seem to me like it would be as easy as capturing a swarm.  Thanks very much.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Bees in the eaves.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:46:00 pm »
sounds like a trap out or cut out is in order.
Here are a few links for how to do a Trap Out...

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20595.0.html

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,20038.0.html

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:56:26 pm »
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:15:38 pm »
How long have you been keeping bees? They could be a swarm from one of your hives.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 04:27:06 pm »
Been beekeeping for about 5 weeks now....don't think they're my bees :)

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 04:45:48 pm »
Three words of advice.....

RUN, RUN, RUN>

That is one of the most difficult places you will ever find to remove. Best to wait until you have a dozen removals under your belt before attempting that one.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 05:29:49 pm »
i second that.  i have done one attic cut out and it was miserable.  face first into hive and insulation.  many stings.  couldn't reach all the way back to the back of the hive.  didn't save the hive.  even hubbys long arms were not enough...and he was very brave to try  :-)

i don't think i'll  do another like that, and i have been at this for a little more than 5 weeks and don't a few removals   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything