Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Understanding of Deformed Wing Virus  (Read 1363 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Understanding of Deformed Wing Virus
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:02:10 am »
I want to make sure that I understand DWV. It is caused by Varroa. It is not a virus that spreads like the common cold, and once you get rid/control the varroa the virus is fairly under control. Also dwv comes with varroa whether the mite count is high or low.

Like I said in an earlier post; I did the OA vaporizer thing. However the numbers of bees are so thick in the two 8 deeps I'm wondering if everybody got a "puff".
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
Re: Understanding of Deformed Wing Virus
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 09:21:57 am »
Ok, here's my experience w/ DWV.
 I've been practicing the (MDA splitters) brood break therory, for mite control, and I have found when the mite population climbs, so does DWV, while I do believe DWV is there and real,  how many bees are observed with deformities from the mites feeding and mistaken for DMV?
 There are camps that believe that you can't even do a hive inspection while the queen larvae are forming to prevent deformity. The mites ain't exactly playing patty cakes while they're in the cell with the larve.
 Can't answer your question on the vaporizer, but with your being down south, you've already got brood right? Doesn't that mean you have to do multiple treatments to be effective?

Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:52:28 am »
If you did your oxalic correctly it will do its job.   It needs to be done 3 times a week apart to catch all the mites sealed in brood.   

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 10:54:06 am »
I know of a few folks that apply it 4 times , a week a part for each treatment.
Your trying to affect the mites that are hidden in capped cells.
OAV, does not penatrate capped cells and that's why numerous treatments.

anything