Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: asparagus care  (Read 3584 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
asparagus care
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:05:06 am »
This spring I became aware I had asparagus growing in my yard in two places. First, what do I do to the tops for winter to insure yummy asparagus this spring? Second, one area of plants is in a location I dont want them in. Whens the best time to lift and mov'em w/ the others? Third, any other helpful hints appreciated!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: asparagus care
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 10:29:12 am »
when the ferns turn brown you should mow them down and then clear them out of the patch...they harbor asparagus beetles over the winter.
i've never moved an asparagus patch but i would guess that this time of the year would be the best time to do it. if you do it in the spring you would probably mess up their production.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:17:04 pm »
I assume the asparagus is established and, therefore, several years old.  I cut off the ferns once they've browned and then cover with mulch.  I mulch something in the garden or berry patch every time I clean the chicken pen or the goat stall.  Mulch is sooo much better than boughten fertilizer.  It enriches and protects.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 10:33:01 am »
Konasdad, I agree with Randy.  Get those crowns dug up now, and move them.  Asparagus are very early to send up their shoots, and I think that you must move them before the come out of the dormant stage, which I would venture would be around early March.

When you did them up, dig up a good part of the earth ball around them.  Make sure that the little stems are not all in a ball.

Asparagus has what you call crowns, which is a central bud (we'll call it that) that has many little "legs" that come out from it.  These legs should not be curled around or anything.  When you take them out of the ground with the earth, gently separate the "legs" (can't think of a better description of the part of the root) and have them kind of dangling down, looking somewhat like an octopus.  Then place these crowns on the earth (can you get a bed that is about at least one foot deep?  They love to be deeply planted).  Spread the little roots out so they look nice and tidy, this will allow them to grow properly, they will not be all bunched up.  Cover them up with some nice soil.  Then mulch the heck out of them.  Lots of compost even if you can, they love to be fed and watered well.

A key to growing excellent and wonderful huge, tender, yummy spears is mulch, mulch, feed, feed (organic of course) and mulch some more, water, water, mulching.  YOu will have beauties that will make your head swim.  Enjoy the loveliness of one of the first of the spring edibles!!!!  Good luck.  Any more questions, post them, Ann and I both grow great asparagus, she is a walking book of knowledge, you have probably figured that out by her posts, yeah, Ann, go, girl, go.....Have a beautiful day and greatest of life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 11:53:53 am »
Thanx- they are very mature crowns. They havent been disturbed or harvested in years. They were originally planted in the sixties according to the person I bought house from. The ferns are taller than me and I'm 6ft. They must be about 30inches diameter too.. I also have males and females as two plants have red berries. I hope to lift and replant this weekend, along w/ pruning, leaf raking, put away patuio furniture, clean gutters, winterize gas tools, replant some heirloom irises etc, etc etc.....
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 01:40:15 pm »
Konasdad, you are gonna have a busy weekend, yeah!!!  Getting down to the last of the cleanup for winter, me too.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, it is raining now here, but I see some break in the clouds in the southwestern horizon, means sunshine may still come (hopeful).  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service