Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey Prices  (Read 2862 times)

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
Honey Prices
« on: July 25, 2005, 08:15:27 pm »
Hi all. I'm a new want to be beekeeper. I won't have bees until next spring as I am using this year studing and building woodenware.

One question I ask local beekeepers is where do you come up with the price of honey. Just what the local retailers are willing to pay or is there a market like corn or wheat? Most just say "what ever you can get" :?
There has to be a better way? How do members here price their honey.

Thanks
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

All that's golden must bee honey!

Offline banjojohn

• New Bee
Honey Prices
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 08:44:19 pm »
The local bee supply store people price their honey for $9 a quart, $10 with comb in it. Last year was the first I had sold. I gave my daughter a jar and she took it to work( in Knoxville) about 90 mile away. She called and said several people wanted some. I told her $8 a quart but she priced it at $10 a quart and sold all I had(about 30 quarts). It is probably a little higher in the bigger cities. We live in a small town. Both my hives died last winter and I had to start over this spring so I've only had about 2 shallows(20 qts) to sell so far. I got an extractor and kept the comb intact, so I am anxious to see how fast they can refill.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Honey Prices
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 09:14:09 pm »
I was checking online not too long ago for prices and found that there's a magazine that posts prices.  I don't remember which one though.  I am looking.  I thought it was Bee Culture.  I'll keep you posted.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Honey Prices
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:15:21 pm »
Found it quicker than I thought.  Try this out.  http://www.ams.usda.gov/fv/mncs/honey.pdf
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
Honey Prices
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 09:52:59 pm »
Oh Mr. Bassman, thanks that link is exactualy what I had hoped for. This gives a good insight to the market durring the crop months in the US.

Banjo....sorry you lost your new colonies. Do you know what killed them? I have been told to expect a 30% hive kill durring the winter. Which I find to be unexceptable but all around here seem to just live with it. I hope by keeping a comprehensive IPM program I hope to do better.
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Honey Prices
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 05:28:30 pm »
American Bee Journal has a chart on prices in every issue for all over the world. :D
Ryan Horn

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Honey Prices
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 07:26:19 pm »
That's it!  I knew there was something else.  Thanks for helping Ryan.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
Honey Prices
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 09:41:25 pm »
Hey! you guys are too much...thanks again for all your help
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

anything