Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: gluing starter strips  (Read 3761 times)

Offline octagon

• House Bee
gluing starter strips
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:21:20 am »
i have some pierco plastic foundation that has been cut in strips about 1 and a half inches wide that i would like to use in a brood hive, could i use some bees wax melted to glue them in the grove. the frames are made to hold a whole foundation but i got the stuf from other people for nothing and would like to use it.thanks.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: gluing starter strips
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:28:25 am »
Octagon, go our our forum member's blog, that is Linda.  She has a video on how to glue foundation with beewax, it is a very cool blog, you should check it out!!!  Have that beautiful and most wonderful day, good luck.  Cindi

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:28:08 am »
Octagon, go our our forum member's blog, that is Linda.  She has a video on how to glue foundation with beewax, it is a very cool blog, you should check it out!!!  Have that beautiful and most wonderful day, good luck.  Cindi

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/

Here's the direct link to Linda's video on securing starter strips with wax: http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/04/how-to-use-wax-tube-fastener_26.html

BTW, you can also glue them in or shoot a few brads through the starter strips at an angle into the frame, this is what I do.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:16:22 pm »
I'm with JP.  I shoot a staple thru the side of the top bar and into the strip with an air stapler.   It doesn't work with wax starter strips, but works fine with plastic foundation or coroplast (which I use).  Much quicker and less of a mess.

rob....

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline octagon

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:00:47 pm »
would it be ok to use a couple frames with strips and the rest full plastic foundation?ths

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:21:30 pm »
YES!! Alternate strips whith foundation for nicer natural comb ..

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:26:14 pm »
Can you use Gorille glue inside the box without harming the bees. Or would you suggest using another type of glue maybe Elmers  it wouldnt need to hold much weight until the bees join the comb to the frames I used to eat Elmers as a kid with out to much damage

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:34:17 pm »
Can you use Gorille glue inside the box without harming the bees. Or would you suggest using another type of glue maybe Elmers  it wouldnt need to hold much weight until the bees join the comb to the frames I used to eat Elmers as a kid with out to much damage

I've found that Gorilla glue foams too much which can scew up the works when drawing comb.  For frames and especially gluing starter strips nothing beats good old Elmer's Glueall. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:00:53 am »
hot glue gun?  i am a big fan of gorilla glue, but not on the starter strips.  brian is right, it will foam to much.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 09:17:19 am »
I used wood glue and it worked perfect.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 09:42:03 am »
I use gorilla glue with no problem.  Just use in moderation.  A few drops does wonders.  I use it for every piece of the hive that requires glue.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 08:30:18 pm »
I use gorilla glue with no problem.  Just use in moderation.  A few drops does wonders.  I use it for every piece of the hive that requires glue.

This seems to be the case with any application involving Gorilla glue. A little goes a LONG way.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:32:18 am »
I have tons of plastic foundation (from Mann Lake kits), and it is sittingn in my barn.  I have been cutting and gluing in wax foundation for my supers.  Do you all think I would be better off to cut the plastic foundation with a band saw and staple it into place?  If I could do it once and avoid the melthing and welding with beeswax. that might be a bit easier. 
Brian

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 12:43:14 am »
I have tons of plastic foundation (from Mann Lake kits), and it is sittingn in my barn.  I have been cutting and gluing in wax foundation for my supers.  Do you all think I would be better off to cut the plastic foundation with a band saw and staple it into place?  If I could do it once and avoid the melthing and welding with beeswax. that might be a bit easier. 

This is what I do.

...JP