Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: gardening and bees  (Read 2525 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
gardening and bees
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:40 pm »
I have a few fields of gardens and 2 hives behind the gardens. will the bees pollinate my garden?

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
Re: gardening and bees
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 12:04:15 am »
Absolutely! Why wouldn't they?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 01:33:55 am »
well, ya...sorta.....really depends what you have in your area how much they do or do not, and what you have in your gardens, I think. They often pick a primary and are somewhat loyal to it, but it isn't like they are exclusive, they sort of 'train' themselves to it. but more then likely they will pay enough attention to whatever you have if you have a decent hive, and if they do not other things will since they will all be competing for resources. ie, even if your honey bees for instance go to another source, what used to go to that source will be pushed more to find another and will then come to your gardens. so either way it'll work out for the better having them around.

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 01:49:12 am »
just wasn't sure if I should self pollinate some of my garden or not. think ill do a little self pollinating.

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »
any1 know when bees hit the garden to pollinate? morning , noon, or night?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »
What are you growing?  Honeybees don’t pollenate things like Tomatoes.  They do a descent job on the squash and pumpkins.  Their tongues are only about 6mm long so if the nectar source is buried too deep in the plant, they aren’t going to work that flower.  As for the time of day, it depends upon when the flowers are making nectar.  That seems to start after mid morning around here.  If you’re trying to control the genetics of your garden or creating hybrids, you’ll want to do your own pollination.  There are also plenty of other bugs that pollinate gardens such a moths, bumblebees, and an assortment of other native bees and bugs.     

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 04:24:01 pm »
I rarely see my bees in my garden. I have seen them on some broccoli that my wife let go to seed. That said, I think I see more bumbles and little native pollinators now than I used to. Though it could just be that I am looking harder now too.

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 06:05:36 pm »
I have a 1/2 acre and growing everything :). big job :).

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 07:38:53 pm »
Folks around here have the notion that if you spray your garden do it in the afternoon because of the pollinators. As far as natural pollinators (non honey bees) it seems to me their population around here has really taken off in the last couple of years. Probably because farmers have started to raise non cotton crops like wheat, soybeans, sorghum, and corn.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 03:04:49 am »
just wasn't sure if I should self pollinate some of my garden or not. think ill do a little self pollinating.

If pollination is a problem in your area, then sure, why not? I have absolutely no problem with pollination though, none. and to many fruits on a plant that has a difficult time sustaining it can effect the quality as well. surely not a lot of fun self pollinating even a 1/2 acre of crops though surely. I believe honey bee hives in the area can bring about a 30% increase in pollination though over-all, and for some things they are a necessity.

anything