Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The threat of Varroa  (Read 5427 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
The threat of Varroa
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:43:33 am »
The following article appeared in the Brisbane Courier Mail today

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,26563774-3102,00.html

It is amazing to know that the colonies have been found so far from the coast and to realise that they would have had to leapfrog their way up the mountains through virgin bush to get there.

Of course the article does not imply that varroa is present in the colonies but that the threat is obvious. Knowing just how far wide and isolated the open spaces are in the far north makes things quite unsettling as the asian honey bee and attached varroa could be anywhere in thousands of square kilometres and no one would know. Containing an outbreak would seem to be impossible.

It seems to be only a matter of time before the first evidence of varroa is discovered up that way

Mick

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Re: The threat of Varroa
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:42:43 am »
it like Hawaii, its just a matter of time before varroa is running ramped over there, to much free trade with other countries like us.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »
just matter of time before they get her going to be interesting to see how we are going to handle this.look how quick the hive beetle spread .are we going to take the chemical approach or see how the bees handle them.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:37:25 am »
Transportation of hives will soon be verboten between states. Its trucks and hives and people that spread pests and diseases.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 10:23:18 pm »
hi it took twelve month es for the hive beetles to get out her.and they got her through migration bee keeping.mate found hives had come of truck full of beetle.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 05:30:09 am »
"HoneyBee Blues" was doco about the work of Austrailain Dr Denis Anderson and his current research in to "Destructor". Was screened on SBS down here about a month ago. Has been posted on the net somewhere for consumption. As of December Apis Cerana detections and hive destructions numbered 55. The varoa on the cerana is a cousin to Destructor.

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 03:39:50 am »
hi all
      wear do we start ,are we going to wait for the expert to come up with some dope for varroa.or do we start looking at breeding better hygiene in awe bees.one think i did notice my Italian are slack at house duty's.i went in before ex mas to go through brood i ended up scraping the crape of the bottom board,my cross breed ferrail we allot better in doing the house duty's.very clean but the are toey.is this were i keep them to start better hygiene. or do i give the queens the thumb treatment .

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 06:35:16 am »
I would keep her ladyship for a while and see if the hive settles down.. just use a little more smoke

Slicko

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 11:11:33 pm »
yea good idea,hop to head over to yard end of week ,i be in for afew suprise.trouble having hives so far from home.if i didnt have hives there i be feeding them.no money in that,i keep you posted on the out come of it.iwent into the desease section found good reading ther on varroa

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 06:12:37 am »
If we get varroa, the scientists might be spurred on in their research.  It takes a long time sometimes for chemicals to be approved here, so I wonder if there is an action plan made up for the eventuality, so we can be notified and informed about treatments as quickly as possible.

Lone

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 09:31:46 pm »
hi
   i ended up subscribing to the the Australian beekeeper it has some good reading in there about varroa what they are doing to prepare for it.they keep you up to date on cerana beesit be one way they get her.its a wonder thee people don't see the bees on or flying about on the ships and boats when they are coming over.wonder they don't have to spray or inspect before they leave.

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 02:05:31 am »
John Howard and Kevin Rudd have reduced funding over the years for surveilance, detection, treatment and quarantine services. Both political parties are of the belief that the private sector and research funding go hand in hand. They deal with issues that are election winners over 3/4 years. Disappointing but thats the way they see it. The Nationals vasilate due to the "coalition" arrangement and the Greens and Democrats are just "out there". Apis Cerana is a point to support what the various governments do for the apiarists and our pristine environment.