Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mating NUC entrance disks  (Read 5040 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Mating NUC entrance disks
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:01:30 am »
I see there are a huge variety of Mating NUC entrance disks for sale - Dave Cushman's site shows quite a few examples.

But I just don't get them.  I understand the 'lots of fine holes' for 'Closed - with Ventilation', and I understand 'Fully Open' - but why the intermediate settings ? Why, in particular, is there any need for a Queen Excluder option ? Surely she's either confined (along with the rest) - free to fly (along with the rest), or quite happy laying eggs with the door wide open ...

What am I missing ?

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Mating NUC entrance disks
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:10:57 am »
I use them (metal ones from W.T. Kelly) quite often during removals. If you don't find the queen to cage her for a few days but are pretty sure she's in the box, just set it to excluder and let the bees orient to the new location. They're also great for shook swarms.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:32:10 pm »
Hi Scott - ah, so it's a multi-purpose thing.  Thanks.

I was planning on just putting a virgin in the box along with a cup-full of bees - close 'em up for 3 days, and then let 'em fly and let nature take it's course. Then check in a week to see if she's been successful. So maybe I don't even need a disk ?

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:39:50 pm »
I use a piece of cut plastic queen excluder for the same purposes.  A little square of #8 hardware cloth stapled to the entrance of a nuc box for the ride home with a swarm catch, then the queen excluder over the entrance once I get the ladies to my bee yard.
I've never purchased the disks.

Offline Beregondo

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:39:15 pm »
A very good reason for the "queen excluder" disc opening on a mating nuc isn't to keep a newly mated queen in, but to keep one of her confused neighbors returning to the wrong nuc out.

If a returning virgin or mating queen gets lost and enters the wrong nuc, either she or the resident queen will be killed.

Not only does this mean losing a queen, but if the invader lives and the resident dies and there is a selection process going on with good record keeping, those records become corrupted b/c the record keeper thinks the new queen came from the genetic line of the dead one