Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from NW IL  (Read 4253 times)

Offline mastro

• New Bee
Hello from NW IL
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »
I've been lurking here for about six months, finally decided to join.  I'm located in Will county, hopefully their are some nearby Beeks.   

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from NW IL
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:10:33 pm »
Mastro, welcome to our forum.  Wow, lurking for about 6 months, what on earth took you so long to get on board and post, smiling.  I know some can be quite shy, that you?  We love new members, and welcome all with open arms.  This will be that great place for you to hang out, tell your stories, tales and experiences -- you will also make some new and good friends, we are that wonderful group, you have already seen this I know.  Stick around AND have a most wonderful and awesome life, day, attract and keep great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:14:22 pm »
Welcome
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:05:27 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Nearby beeks  :?

Have you you seen some of the other beeks?  :mrgreen:    :brian:   :yippiechick:  :cindi:

Bunch of weirdos if you ask me....

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:13:01 pm »
Ah, Bjornbee, you are a  bright light in our life.  Have a beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:36:28 am »
Hello and Welcome!

This is a great forum for learning more about bees and beekeeping. The tutorials on the main Beemaster page were one of the first places where I began learning about bees several years ago. Here in the forums, I use the 'search' function a lot: many times I can find immediate answers to my questions in previous threads.

Are you involved with a local beekeeping club? Clubs are good places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beeks. Plus, they often offer beginnning beekeeping classes:
http://www.isba.us/index.affiliate.htm

Looking forward to hearing about your beekeeping adventures!

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:26 am »
Ah, Bjornbee, you are a  bright light in our life.  Have a beautiful day, Cindi

So that's what you call it...  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:50:52 am »
BjornBee, no exaggerating, smiling.  Cindi

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 03:10:06 pm »
Hello and Welcome Mastro   
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline mastro

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 03:11:31 pm »
Hello and Welcome!

This is a great forum for learning more about bees and beekeeping. The tutorials on the main Beemaster page were one of the first places where I began learning about bees several years ago. Here in the forums, I use the 'search' function a lot: many times I can find immediate answers to my questions in previous threads.

Are you involved with a local beekeeping club? Clubs are good places to find mentors and get connected with nearby beeks. Plus, they often offer beginnning beekeeping classes:

Looking forward to hearing about your beekeeping adventures!

While I started beekeeping this past spring with two hives.  Just checked on them this past week and both hives were dead, one starved the other I'm not sure (still plenty of honey).  These were both Russian strains so I'm going to try again.  I just ordered from Walter Kelly 2 packages, to be delivered March 28.  I really got interested in raising bees after meeting a beek in Morris IL named Doit Ross.  He gave me some equipment and told me where to start.  Right now my main problem is finding land.  I was keeping the hives on abandoned property that was overgrown, unfortunately that is also where the local kids go to hang out.  They ended up throwing rocks at the hives and later spraying poison on them.  That may be the reason they never made it this winter.  Anyway I ended up moving them this past summer to my place in my station wagon (that was quite fun).  

I seem to notice a lot of beeks live well into their 90s+, anyone else notice that?

Whenever I got stressed out about the bees I would just read Micheal Bush's web site, very informative.  In fact that my be how I found this site.

Anyway it's the middle of maple tapping season here and I've got to get back to that, see ya'll later.