Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie in NH - need advice  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Nardi

• New Bee
Newbie in NH - need advice
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:25:29 pm »
Hi Folks,
   I started 2 TBHs on 5/18/13. They seem to be doing well, but I broke a piece of comb 1/2 off the bar when I tried checking their progress (I didn't notice that it was attached to the side of the hive.)
   Should I remove that piece? It's about 2"x3", and is hanging twisted sideways, near the lower part of the comb. Should I try to straighten it? Or should I just leave it alone? Or is there something else I should try? It's all new to me- Thanks for any help.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Newbie in NH - need advice
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:37:17 am »
Welcome to the forum Nardi, I would straighten it the best you can and let them repair it.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »
Welcome, one of my friends said he would attach the broken off piece to an empty bar and let the bees continue from there. He said he would not try to reattach it to the place it broke off from since the weight of the completed comb might not stay attached.
You might want to change your profile location so in the future we can give you advice local to your area.
If you have not joined a local bees club, please give it a thought as neighbors can also help you directly. -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 05:10:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  You should take it off the side of hive and tie, or rubber band it to a bar.  Try to keep comb running straight and on the bars.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

anything