Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild hive in my wall, can I capture and move to a box?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline CrdStang

• Brood
Wild hive in my wall, can I capture and move to a box?
« on: August 25, 2006, 06:38:14 am »
Hi everyone.

About two months ago I had a huge hive removed from inside the wall of a rental house.  It spanned stud to stud (around 14") and over six feet tall.  The guy charged $250 and I swore I'd do it myself next time.  Well, they're back.  I'm interested in bee keeping so I'm wondering if it's possible to capture the hive and move them into a hive box?  

I don't really have the time to invest in a new hobby right now, but I'd like to avoid killing the hive.  I just want to move them out of the wall, away from the house, and into a box so I can work with them when I have time.  Of course with minimal costs involved.  This is on ag zoned land so there's lots of room, and I live in Hawaii so there's no cold weather related concerns.  

I built a box based on my admitted limited knowledge, basically to match hive boxes I've seen.  I figure hey, they're living in a wall...the box can't be any worse.  

So basically, do I just smoke them a lot, pull the plywood off the wall, smoke them some more, and start moving bees into the box?  Obviously I'll need the queen(s), and I'll want to do this when the workers are in the hive (early morning or in the evening).  Any glaring details I've missed?

Should I put any/all of their existing honeycomb in the hive box?  

I appreciate any and all advice.  

Thanks!

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:02:35 am »
For starters, don't try to do this to save money.  I started beekeeping this year and have already spent more than what it would take to remove that hive 2 more times.  The other thing is that they do require time if you are going to do more than have them out back for a year or less, as that is what they would be if you spent no time with them.  That said, there are a lot of posts on this forum that deal with the subject of moving a hive out of a wall or house, and it is a very neat hobby.  You could be one of many new beeks who are hopelessley hooked on the bees, like myself....So I would say, go for it!  Someone else will have to tell you the specifics, because I haven't done that myself, yet.
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 09:35:07 am »
Your "exterminator" failed to plug the entrance in the wall, probably on purpose (he makes another $250), so this time be sure to note it's location and plug it or you'll be doing cutouts a couple of times a year.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 12:14:34 pm »
In most places it is illegal to keep bees in anything that doesn't have movable frames, so you need to get a proper hive body (or build it correctly) and frames.  Then you can use rubber bands to put the existing brood comb in the frames.  Without this step, the bees will not stay in the box.  You also need a top and bottom board.  Assuming you can find the queen and move her (not a sure thing at all), the rest of the bees will follow after you remove the comb from the wall.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline CrdStang

• Brood
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 01:26:34 pm »
Ross: My box does have removeable frames, the rubber band idea is exactly the kind of advise I was looking for.  Thanks!

Brian: Actually we left the wall open in the previous location, because it was under the house, there was no reason to box it back up.  The bees moved back in to the other side of the house.  Of course I'm not sure it really is the same hive, but thats a moot point.  I'll be caulking up every hole I can find after the hive is moved, thats for sure.  

Yoderski:  I figure I will get hooked and make the time after I have a hive there to work with, but it might take a couple months.  I just want to ensure the bees will be OK until then.  

:D

Offline wayne

• House Bee
maybe
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 04:52:34 pm »
:twisted:   Here's an idea. Buy a large picture frame and a sheet of plexiglass. Cut a hole in the wall, cover it with the plexiglass, hang the frame over it and raise the price of the house to cover the living learning center in the wall.

wayne :lol:
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:49:36 am »
I bet Wayne turns cow manure into fertilizer too.  :)
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

manowar422

Re: maybe
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 01:11:58 pm »
Quote from: wayne
:twisted:   Here's an idea. Buy a large picture frame and a sheet of plexiglass. Cut a hole in the wall, cover it with the plexiglass, hang the frame over it and raise the price of the house to cover the living learning center in the wall.

wayne :lol:

When life gives you a bushel of lemons...
Make lemonaid!
Bahahahahaha