Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from KY  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
Hi from KY
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:53:57 am »
I've been lurking on here for awhile, but decided to join since I'm sure I'll have lots of questions when my nucs arrive in April.
 I must admit I'm very new to beekeeping, but I've spent the last several months reading and researching so that I don't look too much like a dufus. :-D     My parents kept bees and I really wish I'd paid more attention instead of standing there in lala land while "helping" them check the hive.

My husband and I have several cows including two jerseys that we (using that term very loosely) milk, and 15 hens. I'm hoping the cows won't be too much of a problem around the hives. Oh, and there are a bunch of kids that follow us around too.

Looking forward to gleaning more info from you experienced beekeepers....just an FYI, I'm more of a lurker than a poster.

~mary

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hi from KY
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:40:45 am »
Welcome....

First, the cows will rub against the hives and knock them over. Don't put them where that can happen.

Second, put your location in your profile, otherwise, when you ask a question, the answers may be for a different climate and do you more harm than good.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 01:58:21 pm »
bees and cows don't mix , if you feed grain once in a while the sweet smell of molases ight entice the cows to check out the sweet smell of hive . 3 feet outside the fence is great . You can't bee that old to know that song ..  :)

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:44:28 pm »
Hello and Welcome Mary
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  So if you have children are you going to call one Lil' Divy? :idunno:
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:05:34 pm »
You can't bee that old to know that song .. 

How old is that song? Actually my dad used to sing it to me when I was a kid. Among other things.... :roll:

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:26:28 pm »
You can't bee that old to know that song .. 

How old is that song? Actually my dad used to sing it to me when I was a kid. Among other things.... :roll:

It is a WWII era song.  My mother used to sing it to me to put me to sleep when I was much younger. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 07:34:22 am »
Hello and welcome!

This forum is a great place to learn more about bees & beekeeping! The tutorials on the main Beemaster page were one of the first places I began learning about bees several years ago. I also use the 'search' function extensively: many times I find my questions have already been discussed, and I don't have to wait for answers.

Are you involved with a local beekeeping club? Clubs are great for finding mentors and getting connected with nearby beekeepers. Kentucky has many excellent clubs, and many of them are offering beginning beekeeping classes:
http://www.ksbabeekeeping.org/default.htm

http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/bees/association/index.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:33:04 pm »
Mary, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  BTW, what song is everyone talking about?  I think I missed out on something here.  Is it the name in your avitar (Mares eat oats) This will be a great place for you to learn, study, get acquainted with the bees, before you get them this spring.  Ask you questions, all are important.  Have a great and most wonderful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service