Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My upgraded and over sized solar melter.  (Read 5942 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
My upgraded and over sized solar melter.
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:58:36 pm »
 Here are some photos of my new melter being made. thought you all would like to see it. I use it to bleach and further filter the wax after I melt it in the broiler pot.

It's 27.5 inches wide by 52 inches tall by 10 inches deep. I plan to have two melting shelves with removable filters to double filter and give a larger area to bleach the wax as it falls. then have it fall into a large deep pan at the bottom. the glass I cut from two old storm windows that I had and framed them in wood with a groove cut in it to hold them and sealed them in with.

john

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: My upgraded and over sized solar melter.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:08 pm »
Looks nice John.

Now how does this compare to Swamp’s Rinky Dink solar melter?  Are you planning to set this thing up vertically or on an angle as shown in the photo?  If on an angle, how are you going to get the wax to drip into a pan on the bottom?  Wouldn’t some end up melting down the back side and missing the pan?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:35:12 pm »
Looks nice John.

Now how does this compare to Swamp’s Rinky Dink solar melter?  Are you planning to set this thing up vertically or on an angle as shown in the photo?  If on an angle, how are you going to get the wax to drip into a pan on the bottom?  Wouldn’t some end up melting down the back side and missing the pan?

I plan on it being at the proper angle to match the sun. I have a small unit that I am using now. I have purchased two commercial baking pans that are 27 inches long and 20 inches wide. I will cut a section out of the upper one with several slots and place a disposable window screening to ruff clean the wax and as it falls onto the second pan will be at smaller angle to allow for bleaching then into a stainless steel extra fine mesh that I get from a zipper manufacture during their shut downs. this has a 100 micron mesh. gets it extra clean. then it falls into the collection pan that is a commercial bread loft pan. I spray with form release. I can get a 20 lb block out of it. then Its into the peculator to dip candles in or pour into molds.
check my other post to see the dipping pot. It's in the crafting section of the forum.

john.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:47:29 pm »
Nice work mate. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of it completed. I need to make a melter myself as I am getting in trouble for filling all the fridges and freezers with wax :(
Shane

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 12:01:51 am »
Nice work mate. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of it completed. I need to make a melter myself as I am getting in trouble for filling all the fridges and freezers with wax :(

Hey shaneJ

I know what you mean about trouble. do what I did. I went to a second hand shop or flea market, yardsales and found a old 32 quart double pan roaster that I used to melt all my old wax in water and poured it thru strainer into a 5 gal pail. let it sit over night then scrape off the propulous off the bottom and the wraped each disc into a couple of grocery bags then placed them in a big box in the spare bedroom under the bed. I had upto 3 boxes full that wieghed about 100 lbs each. out of sight out of her mind. plus it won't go bad and it won't smell of wax. then when you get your solar melter ready just place a broken up disc on it and let the sun melt and bleach the wax plus clean what is left of the propulous.

john

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 04:13:25 am »
As you say, I should start boiling it down to free up space. I'd go to the trouble but she'd still find something to whinge at me about  :? :-P
Shane

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »
As you say, I should start boiling it down to free up space. I'd go to the trouble but she'd still find something to whinge at me about  :? :-P

get her to help you. tell her tht the steam with the wax melting is great for the skin ;)

john

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:30:31 pm »
Excellent, been wanting to build one of these for awhile.  I have been inspired!  Thanks!
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline ovix

• Brood
    • construction shows
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:55 am »
Usefull information, thank you very much, you gived me some ideeas.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 07:53:29 pm »
Here's the update on the melter. I have been busy with family the past month and half.  

I used 4 stripes of wood cut to length and screwed them to the sides.

I got these baking sheets from a used restaurant supplier and the pan also. got them for 5.00 each. I stepped on one side to form a center toff to get the wax going in on place where the screens will be.

The basket is from a old work light that I cut the gurad from and then bent the wires to fit the pan . I am going to use a coffee filter for the final filtering.

the sheets slide into the rails for the melting and I can remove them for cleaning. The final thing I need to do is cut the pans so I can mount removable screen inserts to filter the wax. The top one will use window screening then the bottom one will use 100 micron stainless steel mess that I got from the zipper factory to fine filter then into the coffee filter to get the extra fine particulates out. then walla a brick of wax ready for the candle pot and the foundation form that I am making in the spring.

John

anything