Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mowing White Clover  (Read 5174 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Mowing White Clover
« on: July 18, 2014, 03:22:52 am »
This has probably been discussed before but I didn’t find it in a quick search. 

How high should one mow a lawn/clover patch to encourage the clover to take over?  I already have a lot of white clover in my lawn and I typically set the mower to cut the grass at 4”.  However that does top off most of the blooms.  Would it be better for the clover to mow a little higher?  And is it reasonable to delay mowing until the clover goes to seed, or does it multiply sufficiently without waiting for the blooms to go to seed? 

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: Mowing White Clover
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:41:29 am »
it multiplies without waiting for it to bloom, and it typically grows 4-8" tall. If you want the bees to use it then allow it to bloom and do not mow it. if you keep cutting off the blooms then it obviously makes it difficult for the bees to use it. get some red clover and grow it in with the white too, it looks cool.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 12:45:23 am »
Once the blooms start turning dark, I mow it to about 2 1/2 " and it will come back and bloom again.  Some of mine is blooming for the third time. 

Joe

Offline itsme

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:08 am »
Since we had been getting timely rain, I was mowing about half of what we normally mow.  When that started to bloom good with white clover, I cut the other half.  This worked well and the bees always had plentiful blooms to work.  Things are drying out now though.

anything