Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help Please . . Need those pictures of hive stands  (Read 2894 times)

Offline c10250

• House Bee
Help Please . . Need those pictures of hive stands
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:39:23 pm »
I've been told that I need to relocate a couple of hives that are too close to a telephone pole.  Right now these hives sit on a log, and a stack of 4x4s.  I'd like to quickly build a nice hive stand foundation that will hold three hives.  Can you guys help with some pictures and a little description of some possible solutions?

TIA

Ken

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
Re: Help Please . . Need those pictures of hive stands
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:51:35 pm »
Here's my new one. Overkill but it's really nice for working bees. 2x8 double rail supported by 4x4s anchored in concrete. The rest is extra. There will be vines on the arbor above and the shed in back will keep beek stuff like spare hive part, supers and tools. All you really need is the double rail. Space it so you can use the rails as a frame rest for even more convenience.

The plan I used for the stand part is a sketchup file found on this page http://www.beehacker.com/wp/?page_id=22
Other stands are there, too.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:16:24 pm »
Quick and easy - 2 cement blocks and 2 8' 4X4's. Move the hives then build something nicer if you want.
Later,
Ray

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 02:48:28 pm »
Brushwood, THANKS!  Those plans are exactly what I was looking for.  Actually, I think I have all I need from that picture.

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
My pleasure!

Off topic: Ray, what's happening with Carolina Nurseries property?

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 03:13:34 pm »
My pleasure!

Off topic: Ray, what's happening with Carolina Nurseries property?
Not a lot. It's setting pretty much unused last time I drove by. Nice setup to sit like that.
Later,
Ray

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 03:51:31 pm »
This is a model of my bee hive stand that I use http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1GG6NOjDzb0nCyrrTMOSdw

I use two breeze blocks, concrete that I first level with a spirit level, make i long enough for three hives but if you have only two hives you can use the middle to put frames and hive boxes during inspections.

if you keep all hive parts and frames of the ground, its more hygienic, after all we are making food  :-P

mvh edward  :-P

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 06:03:54 pm »
Not a lot. It's setting pretty much unused last time I drove by. Nice setup to sit like that.
Sad. We know those folks.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 06:15:20 pm »
Sad. We know those folks.

Yeah,  if I remember correctly they took it on the chin in 2008 and never recovered. The place used to employ quite a staff.
Later,
Ray

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 01:46:45 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone.  It certainly will not win any design competition, but I think it will do the job.

Offline Dimmsdale

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 10:37:57 pm »
I love the frame rest idea.  Thank you!

Moots

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 11:20:29 pm »
c10250,
Nicely done, I think it looks great and will serve you well.  Curious, what's your measurement from the ground to the top of your stand?

I made my stand with a similar design but wasn't sure if I was going to stick with my location so set it on 1 1/2 cinder blocks.  That height seems to work great considering that one of my hives is two mediums tall and the other is three.  However, I'm afraid if I add too many supers, probably wishful thinking on my part,  :), it's going to become to high to work comfortably pretty quick.  I'm toying with the idea of removing the half of block, or maybe the whole block before it gets any further along.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!  :?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 06:41:37 am »
I love the frame rest idea.  Thank you!

yes it was an idea, but you can also turn the frame 90 degrees with a corner downwards between the large hive stand supports and rest it against the hive you are inspecting.  ;)

mvh edward  :-P

Offline c10250

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 09:24:20 am »
c10250,
Nicely done, I think it looks great and will serve you well.  Curious, what's your measurement from the ground to the top of your stand?

I made my stand with a similar design but wasn't sure if I was going to stick with my location so set it on 1 1/2 cinder blocks.  That height seems to work great considering that one of my hives is two mediums tall and the other is three.  However, I'm afraid if I add too many supers, probably wishful thinking on my part,  :), it's going to become to high to work comfortably pretty quick.  I'm toying with the idea of removing the half of block, or maybe the whole block before it gets any further along.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!  :?

I think I went with 19 or 20 inchess off the ground.  I am not too worried about stacking too many supers.  I don't operate that way.  I use a hive scale and collect the honey after each flow.  I am a big fan of varietal honies and do three harvests per year off of each hive: Black Locust, Linden/summer, and Goldenrod.  My hives will never have more than two supers on them.  I usually get around 125 lbs of honey off of each hive during the season.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 05:49:50 pm »
My quick ones are two four by fours on the ground.  My fancy ones are build out of two by fours to take two rows of hives.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#hivestand
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything