Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help: Package Bees--The Queen Is DEAD!  (Read 2734 times)

Offline PeskySquirrel

• New Bee
Help: Package Bees--The Queen Is DEAD!
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:59:21 pm »
Installed my first ever package of bees today. All went really well with one exception: the queen is dead in the cage. I called my bee supplier and I'll be able to get a new queen tomorrow, but my question is: will my installed package fly away tonight/tomorrow morning because there's no queen? I've got the entrance reduced, but should I close it (so none can get out)? I should have the new queen installed by noon tomorrow (at least that's the plan). I appreciate your help.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: Help: Package Bees--The Queen Is DEAD!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 07:35:53 pm »
You should be fine.  Just get her in the hive as soon as possible.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline PeskySquirrel

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 08:11:45 pm »
I hope so. I'm feeling totally bummed. Of all the steps in my head that I was going through to install the bees, I just assumed the queen would be alive so I did not inspect her first. I feel like I blew it. Anyway, I guess time will tell. Could be my first costly mistake. Hope I don't end up needing a whole new package. Maybe other newbees can learn from my mistake.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 08:55:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about the queen, I wouldn't have given that a thought to be a problem? guess you never know what can go wrong, but its not something you could control, and since your supplier is giving you a replacement it should work itself out . Good luck tommorow.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:02:41 pm »
I've had this happen.  Odds are there was a queen loose in the package.  If not, then they will probably drift to the hive next door if there is one.  Otherwise they will probably hang around.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything