Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dartington Long Deep Hive  (Read 5692 times)

Offline Agility Mom

• House Bee
Dartington Long Deep Hive
« on: March 27, 2008, 06:16:24 pm »
After reading about long deep hives on Michael Bush's site, I went to the source and read about his design. They intrigue me because lifting all that weight is getting tough even though I use mostly mediums now.

Where do those of you that have these hives put the opening? Michael said something about moving the opening as he added to his but I wasn't sure what was meant.

As for honey supers, which Dartington talked about being put on top, what do you use as I haven't seen any 5 frame honey supers which is what he uses apparently.

How long can you make these things? I assume that part of the hive, even without honey supers, is used to store honey.
Judy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Dartington Long Deep Hive
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:31:08 pm »
>Dartington Long Deep Hive

Dartington's is a good design if you live in the UK.  It uses British standard equipment.

>After reading about long deep hives on Michael Bush's site, I went to the source and read about his design. They intrigue me because lifting all that weight is getting tough even though I use mostly mediums now.

Not lifting is a wonderful thing.

>Where do those of you that have these hives put the opening? Michael said something about moving the opening as he added to his but I wasn't sure what was meant.

I have three migratory lids for the cover.  One has 1/4" strips under it to make the entrance.  IF I add supers I do it at the front which moves the entrance to the top of the super. The bees then have to go through the super to get to the nest.

>As for honey supers, which Dartington talked about being put on top, what do you use as I haven't seen any 5 frame honey supers which is what he uses apparently.

As mentioned, he's in the UK using British Standard equipment.

You could buy five frame nuc boxes here and use them if you like.  Or not use any at all and just harvest more often.

>How long can you make these things?

About four feet seems to be the practical limit in my experience.

> I assume that part of the hive, even without honey supers, is used to store honey.

Always.  Bees always have a brood nest and a storage area.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin