Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut-out question: What to charge?  (Read 10857 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Re: Cut-out question: What to charge?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 07:36:39 am »
Jim,

I'm trying real hard but I don't see the humor in what you highlighted in red.  Please fill us in.  Thanks.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:42 am »
I think he means that some people feel that the bees we get are payment enough.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:33 am »
Am I incorrect, but only three other people at this point gave actual numbers in answer to my original question - Kathy P and gardeningfireman, and David McLeod?  

My guess is that others don't reveal their numbers readily because if there is a bid in your area, you don't want the competition to know what you charge.  Understandable.

Kathy, I can see why you would drive the other beekeepers crazy. In my opinion, everyone is entitled to a fair wage for a fair day's work. And people should expect to pay.  If I ever get someone who starts with the story that I'm getting free bees anyway - the conversation ends right there. They'll be searching long and hard for someone to do the job.

David McLeod, I respect your approach to all this and I think it's sensible and it's good advice. It sure encourages me.

Has anyone ever thought of a Beekeeper's Union....?

Every market is different. We are trying to answer your question & concerns but can't decide for you what you think your time is worth. Find out what the going rate is in YOUR area to get an idea of what others are charging & go from there.

I don't have a set minimum or maximum but if you want to pin me down, this is the best answer I can give you. My prices start at $200.00 usually but could be lower depending on the H.O.'s financial situation. In MY area my competition usually has an average price of $400.00 or more starting price at least that is what people tell me.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 05:58:48 pm »
JP,

You are absolutely right about that: Each market is different and each of us has to find out what the going rate is in our own respective area.  Actually, I'm doing just that - communicating with other beekeepers in the area - but I'd also like to know what's going on in other places.  It gives a perspective to things. 

I agree that we each have to decide what our labor and time is worth. Listening to you all helps me see how close or how far off I am with my rates. And I also think there is nothing at all wrong with lowering a price because of a homeowners situation.  Everyone's input is helping me with this.   
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 08:03:35 pm »
I tell folks that cut outs start at $200 and that I will quote the job when I inspect it. Most hit around the $200 mark but I've had them go much higher. If I get there and it's obvious that they are struggling I'll usually do it for gas money...don't want to loose cash for doing someone a favor!

If I pull up and they have two Mercedes in the drive way I stand firm on my quote...even if they swear that they are broke!

I don't quote an hourly rate. That's the fastest way to run them off.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »
. If I ever get someone who starts with the story that I'm getting free bees anyway - the conversation ends right there. They'll be searching long and hard for someone to do the job.

we all get those.  i like the ones that start with the tears..."i have called a bunch of people and no one wants to help me". 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »
  A good rule of thumb is that about 10% of the callers should say you are too high priced.
  Some will pay any price, some will have to give it some serious thought and some want it done for free.
  If you charge at all then remember YOU are the professional. Do you bicker prices with the electrician or mechanic? You have as much right to a fair return as they do. If you charge too little you look stupid for doing all that work for so little. Charge a fair price based on the work you do, or do it for fun and just ask expenses.   
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline kbenz

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 11:53:33 pm »
I charge $250.00 min. price goes up the higher the hive. That includes initial visit, extraction and follow up visit if needed for stragglers. I do no repairs.  If thats too much I walk away.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 12:41:31 am »
I just had the municipality that I work for ask me about removing bees from a city tree for free. :-X The forester for the city said that a local beekeeper in the county south of me removed bees just a year or two ago for free. that he just wanted the bees and that I wanted to much to remove the bees. I told Him this. : OK I would do It for Free IF he as a forester would come to a Property with 250 acres of Trees and do a timber survey and get the Mayor who was a attorney to write up a purchase contract for timber rights for me for FREE. He Said that he could not do that for Free and that I would have to pay someone to do that. I SAID exactly!"Call me when you want me to remove them and the price may go up if I have to change my schedule to do the removal.

John

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 01:05:41 am »
After doing a few cut outs so far and understanding what it takes and the time involved I priced a job with three hives in one house and figured on 400 a hive and the owner had no problem beings I was cheaper than someone else  that quoted them and figure it may take a hive a day. That is for removal only and owner will make repairs after.
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2012, 11:25:43 pm »
When I was going to "How to start and run a business  101" they t aught us how to price our wares/services. 
"A

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 04:39:02 am »
Jim,

I'm trying real hard but I don't see the humor in what you highlighted in red.  Please fill us in.  Thanks.

Am I incorrect, but only three other people at this point gave actual numbers in answer to my original question - Kathy P and gardeningfireman, and David McLeod? 

My guess is that others don't reveal their numbers readily because if there is a bid in your area, you don't want the competition to know what you charge.  Understandable.

Kathy, I can see why you would drive the other beekeepers crazy. In my opinion, everyone is entitled to a fair wage for a fair day's work. And people should expect to pay. If I ever get someone who starts with the story that I'm getting free bees anyway - the conversation ends right there. They'll be searching long and hard for someone to do the job.

David McLeod, I respect your approach to all this and I think it's sensible and it's good advice. It sure encourages me.

Has anyone ever thought of a Beekeeper's Union....?

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
After all you are getting free bees and all that honey.Yes and I get my gas and time are free to.Run away at will cost you a lot $$$$  and time oh I forgot you work for free,Just my $0.02
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2012, 05:33:57 am »
I charge $75.00 an hour for residential and $125 for commercial with a two hour minimum.
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline superhoney

• New Bee
  • Golly I love this hobby
    • 12 Miles To Utopia
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 02:09:19 pm »
Hello all,
I just started this year collecting bees from swarms, cutouts, and trapouts. So far I've only had 3 tree calls so that's all I've figured out thus far. I have decided that $50/hr is good for me and more than I have ever earned per hour in my life, and I came from the IT industry. It only takes me about an hour to setup a trap-out (so far) and I also charge for gas and other 'incidental charges' like lumber, hardware cloth, screws etc. And I do visit a couple of times to check up on it and charge the gas for those visits.

I live in a rural area and so far all of my customers are retired and I took that into consideration while trying to demystify pricing for myself. So far I haven't gotten onto any of the big big ranches out here that are owned by millionaires so I can't tell if their attitude would increase my price or not although I would be open to doing so if they get pricky.

I have not gotten the "but you are getting free bees" rhetoric yet, but I think JP said in another post something about #1 I am removing a 'pest' to you and some other good points about how this is a service, not a favor. So far all my calls are from people who have been stung and I play on that as them being a pest that I will remove for them, and again so far haven't had anyone balk at my price which could be low but seems to fit for here, and of course I get the free bees.  :-P

See ya!
Superhoney!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 04:31:45 pm »
I just posted a video of a removal I named "Michelle's bees" in the removal section. We did that one for free. You can see the run-down mobile home in the background. Nice folks but no money. It was a pleasure to help them out! They told me that they'd give me $20 for the effort but that I'd have to wait until the could come up with it...I'm not holding my breath.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 11:59:09 pm »
We charge 150.00 for first two hours and 50hr from there.  This includes drive time from and to.  We are also licensed and insured for 1 million.  And we do not do any repairs YET.  If I ever get time we may start.  We take swarms for free long as its close. Some of the best hives ive got is from swarms and cutouts.  Doing one for over 800.00 tomorrow which includes starter kit and owner wants the bees hived. It also requires a bucket truck and two people.
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

anything