Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You ain't a gonna believe this one.  (Read 13943 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
You ain't a gonna believe this one.
« on: April 18, 2005, 08:47:41 pm »
Remember here way back I started mentioning this bee colonie under a house in Brownfield, TX? Last Monday I called the lady and she was about to call the exterminators. I told her I was sorry I hadn't gotten around to it yet but I could get them Monday the 18th (today). Actually I had turned them over to Brian (Firetool). He showed up this morning packed for bear. So I had to unload a bunch of my stuff out of the Darango and allow him to put his stuff in. We took off for Brownfield. About a mile away I remembered I had forgotten to get the ladies number to call her when we got to town as had been aranged. So back to the house. No big deal.

So now we arive in Brownfield. Right about the city limit sign we both realized we had also forgot the cameras. Oh well. On to the pay phone. So I called the lady to let her know we were there, and then.....

I'm sorry. The rest is Brian's story, I should really let him tell it. I will fill in any blanks he misses.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:01:12 pm »
OH coome oooon! That's really not fair to start a story and then not tell it! LOL

Guess you're back to talking about nothing again.

Beth :)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 09:03:18 pm »
NOTHING???? Now why would you say that????
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Gramma Debbie

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 11:07:51 pm »
Waiting patiently, with cup of coffee in hand.   Well, maybe NOT so patiently  :P

Debbie

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 11:10:08 pm »
Suspence. Don't you just love it? Brian may not even get on here till in the morning. Better get a big pot.

Offline Gramma Debbie

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 11:15:04 pm »
:lol:

Debbie

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 10:19:38 am »
Where to start,
Like Jerry said we got to the city limits and had booth for got our cameras. There is just to much stuff to remimber when going after these collinys to make sure you are prepareed. As we rolled to a stop at the house I was looking at the bottom of the house.I was thinking theres no way we could get under that house its to low to the ground. We unlouded al the stuff and got it set up. There were a few bees coming out but not a lot. I removed the vent cover but could not see anything or fill anything. I told them I guess i would be the one to go since the bees where for me. I whent inside and found the door to the under side. I was fully suited up too as I started down the whole I soon relaized I was not goint to fit with my vail on. So off it came,once i was under the house I was able to put it back on again thank goodness.

I guess i had crawled about ten foot toward thee hive when I heard something buzzing at me. I had brought a flaslh light but could not rember which pocket I had but it in. It was so dark under their to. The kind of dark where you can't see your hand infront of your face. I deside to lie still and wait it out. I had been lieing there for a few minutes when the buzzing stopped. I slowly found the flash light. I turned it on and scanned around. I finaly found the soruce of the buzzing. There was about a 2 foot ratterler under there with me. He was crawling away. I did not want to be under there with a snake and not able to move good. So I know I had to kill it and quick before it got away. All I had with me was my hive tool. So I found a crack to put the flash light so I could see and my hands where free. Then I grabed the snakes tail and jerked it to me. He struck at me once but missed he hit the vail screen. As he recoiled to strick again I struck him about two inches behind his head.The hive tool severed his head he was done for. I then piched him away and went on to the hive.(I hoped with out inmore incounters of the serpent kind)
 I was almost to the hive now so I turned on the light and looked around. Lets just say fighting the snake was worth it.This was some of the biggest comb and bees I had seen. The house support beams ran in the dirrection of the vents. the combs where about, I would say around three feet long and they hung down about 18 to 20 inches. There where five sheets of comb this big. The two outer ones had no bees on them that I could see.The other three where covered in bees. I begane removing the combs at first they putt up with it some. I had gotten one of the combs with bees mostly down and had passed it out the vent to jerry to put into the hive. Then all of a sudden al hell brock loose under the house. bees when ever where but out the vent. tehy started dive bombing me. A few of them got there stingers through my bee suit on my back. My mind was flouded with thoughts on what to do.Should I go back, if I go back I will have to come back and finish and somw of the bees will go with me into the house to. I don't think the owner would like that very much. If I just stay and finish then it is over. So I sayed under and keep working. When I got most of the second comb with bees lose. As I started to move the bees to the vent I was amased to see the bees Main interes was moving with the comb.When the comb whent out side the angry bees when to. I am not sure how much of a problem Jerry had with them. But I know he said he got stung once throught he bee suit also. He was putting the brood comb in to the frames and into the hive. I know he said he saw the queen in the one I gave him with the angry bees. He also told me that as soon as the bees where put into the hive the others when down into the frames of brood we had  put in already.
 I got the rest of the brood out but half of the last comb was brone brood so we left it in the trash. I finished cleaning out all the comb and small clumps of bees to put into the hive and then I got out of their myself. I was tiered and ready for some fresh air to. I will not forget this hive any time soon. It was a crazy adventure. But I think I liked it. I am just thinking about adding a twenty two pistol to my bag of bee getting goodies. Just incase of any more serpent friends.
 Jerry can tell you about the outside adventures I did not get to hear much I fell a sleep on the way back to Jerries house. I had not relaised I was that tired.

Good bee keeping,
Brian

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 10:48:27 am »
WOW!

Great swarm story.
Firetool the snake wrestler. Good move.
Had to be very difficult in tight quarters like that.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 11:01:13 am »
I am here to tell you, it was not fun. I have cought and killed a bunch of ratterlers but none under a house before. I think this is the reson the snake was able to bite me. I had never seen the inside of a snakes mouth like that before. I bet the fangs were only about 2 to 3 inches from my nouse. To close for my confert.

Brian

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 11:03:44 am »
We need to get you signed up for a show on the animal channel :lol:  :lol:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 11:22:52 am »
No sir, not if I have to get that close to get peaple to whatch. I like snakes but not that way. The croc hunter Steve Erwin is crazy. I think he must have fallen as a child and hit his head one to many times.

Brian

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 11:49:50 am »
Well Brian is just full of surprises. First I heard it was a Rattler. I'd asked what took so long. He said he had to hunt down and kill a snake. During the wait, I got a little thirsty, and went back to the Durango to get my Dr. Pepper. I had just taken a good swig of it when all of a sudden this peoce of comb comes slipping through the vent hole. I don't know what possed Brian to think that I had any hold on it. But he let it go and it flopped down on the ground.

The bee suit and veil zip together in such a way where you can unzip both ends of the zipper and let it hang down your back, helmet and all. So there I was with a Dr. Pepper in my hands, and bees that were PO'ed. Notice I put that in capitol letters. Ever had one of those times where everything seems to go in slow motion? Or is it the adrenilin making your brain run fast? These bees lifted off of the comb and I little dark cloud was hanging by the vent hole. I was fine until I sat down my drink and reached back for the veil. I guess my movement caught their attention. In that slow motion the cloud started in my direction. My zipper got caught in my hair. I have long hair just past the shoulders. I stood and started running in the opposite direction. With now where else to go, I just ran around the house. Good thing there were no fences. I'd got the veil over my head and the helmet situated about the time I came back around the back side of the house. Another piece of comb was sticking out of the vent. I hollored "WAIT" , but plop went the comb full of bees. As I had not ever looked back I didn't know if the other group was still after me or not. Turned out some were right on top of me as I doubled back headed for the durango. I bailed into the back, glad we'd left the hatch open, and shut it behind me. Managed to get the zipper zipped and the gloves on and get popped by a bee on the back of the neck. She got in the veil before I got it zipped.

Went back to the vent and a third piece was lying on the ground. I finally figure out Brian couldn't hear me because of the buzzing. Man there were a lot of bees. I think some of the viciousness had to do with the weather. It was over cast skys looking like it could rain just any minute.

I started to place the brood in the frames with rubber bands. I hope I got them in there right side up. The bees started setteling down and covering the brood. I don't remember exactly where I was in the procedure when I heard a noise behind me. It was Brian. Now I really don't know Brian all that well. This is after all the second time we'd seen each other. And I really don't know what his temperment is, so when I saw the look that was on his face, I figured it was best to not say much of anything at all until there was time to calm down. So I acted as though everything went just fine.

We got the stuff loaded into the Durango and headed for the house. I think Brian has an on/off switch. We hadn't hardly left the house when I looked over and he was asleep. And man does he sleep.

About half way home I noticed some bees on the back window. I pulled over and noticed that the top of the hive that had been held down with staples had been jarred loose. The jarring was when some idiot in Brownfield pulled right out in front of me. I swerved and bounced off a curb. I'm sure I called the guy some names he may have deserved.

I try to stay in a good mood but this was getting to me as I had to carefully get the hive out of the back and go searching for where he put the stapler. I mentioned he was loaded for bear right. I don't think the DEA would have found this thing in a drug raid. I was ready to just drive off and leave the bees there. Then A thought hit me. Maybe it's in his pocket.

I am a fairly skinny guy and stand about 5' 7". Not sure how tall Brian is but has to be over six feet tall. His head almost touches the ceiling in the Darango. And I would call him a stocky fellow. Not fat, but he has some meat on him. So anyway. I go to the passenger door, I hate waking people up. Always been one of my things. So I open the door. Not knowing he had his elbow perched on it, and he started leaning out. Told you he slept heavey. I some how managed to push him back in and yes there was the staple gun sticking out his pocket. So stapled the box, loaded it, and back on the road.

I was at my house putting his stuff into his pick up when he finally woke up. He looked around as if he were lost for a moment, then looked at his watch and said some thing about going to be late. The rest of the stuff was trasfered to his Pick up and he was gone in such a fashion that would make a west texas wirl wind jeolous.

Then I came in the house and worked myself back into my good nature. I figured he would call when he finally got home last night. I have not talked to him yet about this trip.

I'm glad it wasn't boring for him. :twisted:

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 01:13:28 pm »
That is wild!

And the rattler....Uhggggg!  [shudder] ...on thing I hate is rattlers....yuck!

:shock:

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 05:44:55 pm »
They always say that ranchers and such have some of the wildest stories, they where wrong, that was a great swarm cath, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 06:19:38 pm »
Wow,

That was quite some story.  I'm glad I don't have to contend with Rattle snakes & bears.  Mostly corn in the midwest!!
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 08:57:16 pm »
Sure hope this doesn't become the "normal" activity when you too get together. :) I don't think you two could handle it. LOL

Thank you for such a wild story. I laughed soooooo much.

Beth

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 09:08:48 pm »
Oh it's just another day in the living here in Texas, what with the indians and all. Why if we ain't dodging bullits, outrunning stampeds, or discusing the latest tornado we sit around making up tall Texas tales.

Offline Gramma Debbie

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005, 12:46:32 am »
Now THAT is dedication  :P   Great story!  Makes me feel real lazy getting my honey from the grocery store  :lol:

I think you guys need an agent  :D

Debbie

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2005, 06:56:34 am »
It reminds me of the time I had to grapple the sasquatch while catching a swarm!!  So there I was...........heheheheheheh

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2005, 08:59:11 am »
I agree Golf..... I'm really wondering if this isn't one of those "Tall Texas Tales". :)

Fess up boys.... did it really happen? Or was it a case of "too many cases (of Bud)" that brought out the story. hmmm?  8)

Beth