Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slow super filling!  (Read 1675 times)

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
Slow super filling!
« on: June 14, 2007, 12:05:16 am »
It has been four weeks now wih queen excluders on and they have yet to fill one frame up with honey. I have very strong hives too. One other hive has 3 full supers and has bee out for the same time. But, i have a queen excluder turned sideways on it also. Would anyone suggest me doing the same on the others all though they are about 9 miles away from the good one?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Slow super filling!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:07:40 am »
some people have problems with excluders.  maybe it's the bees.  maybe it's the type of excluder....you can remove them and see what happens.  worst case, you'll get some brood in your honey supers.  not a big deal.  just cuts down on your honey a bit and makes a little more work before extracting.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 07:46:35 am »
If you really insist on the queen excluders (which I would not use) you can bait them above the excluders with some open brood.  Two frames should do.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:05:38 am »
Get rid of the excluder the bees don't like it.What if someone came to your house and restricted where you could go/
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything