Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question  (Read 6515 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
Question
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:00:13 am »

Where would you think the hive is located?

I am thinking in the eve at least half way up to the peek of the roof going by the discoloration of the brick.
What causes the discoloration Proprolis or Honey? Only thing that makes me question it is that the eve looks very narrow.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:30:27 am »
Have you looked in the attic to check?  May be in both locations.  But I would guess right above that stain.   Unless you got a thermal camera, you have to climb up there and check it out.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:32:44 am »
Likely in the soffit, perhaps some in the attic as well. Those are honey stains.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:25:31 pm »
That much staining how long would you think they have been there.
Manager sent me the picture I haven't even been there yet.
I really don't want to be up there either.
I need to give them a call back today.
I am betting they will not be happy I am thinking boom lift.
I could hire one of my skinny ass friends to climb a ladder but my tallest ladder is only 24 foot and I am betting it will have trouble reaching and then I don't know if the bee vac could suck that far. So I would have to strap it and my shop vac to the other ladder and try and raise it from the ground, boom lift best bet.
Oh and she is already asked about insurance and workmans comp. I don't have insurance and don't think it would be worth it for this one job. I don't even know what type of insurance I would need.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 12:29:06 pm »
Only thing that makes me question it is that the eve looks very narrow.

The brick was installed after the building was framed. The hollow of the gable soffit will extend about 5" beyond the face of the brick.

It will look like this:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:42:07 pm by D Semple »

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:12:09 pm »
Wow! great pic. Now, that's a hive!
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 01:33:23 pm »
Finding the hive is like cracking an egg to find if its good. You never know until you open them. I've found the hives right by the entrance or several feet from the entrance. To fully extract the hive be prepared to open the roof. I handle this by having the homeowner hire the carpenter and I'll handle the bees. I've found a good carpenter who I will recommend. Make sure you inform the homeowner that it could become extensive depending upon where the bees are. They need to be committed to wanting them out. A lift would work but my carpenter uses scaffold. Working from a ladder is too risky and gives you limited mobility. No bees are worth risking your life for.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:17:07 pm »
Well emailed the apartment manager back told her it would be 500 to just rent the boom lift. I will see if she emails me back but I don't want to be hanging my butt off a ladder 20 foot up in the air the Height doesn't bother me it the ladder saying I weight to much and letting go that scares me. I am over my little giants weight limit that worries me with it fully stretched out.
Ten years ago 30 to 40 foot up on a crane boom didn't worry me at all but I was skinner and I was pea sized compared to what the crane was designed to do.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:57:12 am »
Well they called me today. They have a forklift on site so no need for the boom lift they want a price real bad because their construction guy knows a beekeeper at his church. I told them if the guy wants it let him have it but if he doesn't let me know. I might go look at it this weekend if the other guy says no. I bet I will not beat his price and I have to look at the forklift before I quote a price I am not getting on make shift death. I like the forklift idea though I just need a good box I am to old to just sit me on a pallet and send me to the moon.  :-D

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 01:20:34 pm »
You will need a forklift operator for several hours also, that is not afraid of the bees. Remember if he takes off running you are stranded on the forks.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:40:44 pm »
No way I would be lifted that high in the air on a forklift where my safety was contingent on the operator below. I think your first thought was to walk away from it. If this were me, thats what I would do.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 03:47:59 pm »
I have thought about that one too. I am pretty sure the wife would get me down at some point.

I don't think they want to pay the money I want to go up that high. I kinda hope they get the other guy and he does a horrible job ( not wishing bad on him but I bet he will under quote and then I hope he has the sense to walk away) that way I get the, darn I wish I had hired the other guy word of mouth and I don't have to do it. The wife said 1000 bucks or just walk away I might have to agree. The price has to be high enough that I can't say NO sorta thing.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:44:01 pm »
I did one similar to it (maybe not quite as high) charged $1,900, but that included putting it all back together when I was finished.

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj72/DSemple/Bees%202011/Ben%20and%20Kathleen%20D/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 11:37:36 pm »
Is there accessible attic space to determine if they are simply in the soffit? That would be the first thing I would check out.

Honey stains happen for one of two reasons. The bees took up residency early spring and as summer progresses the rising temperatures heat honey comb sections causing them to fall and spill out.

Second reason is they have been sprayed.

If going up on a forklift twenty feet or higher, I want as large a platform I can get in order to place vac, tools, hive box etc...

I would call V Martin and have his company set you up with a lift.

That job without repairs should start at $750.00 IMO.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »
Well which one of you AL boys is taking the job. I just talk to the lady they got someone from the AL Bee Association. I asked what he charged I know its not professional but darn it I want to know.

Well she just emailed me back said he is doing it for a lot less than what I would have asked well I told her the charge would have been at least 750 for me to go up on that forklift if I liked the lift. She said he is doing for a lot less does it more so for the bees.  :lau: He or if the dude comes on here you values those bees a lot higher than I do especially in early August. I would have spent at least 150 on the bees alone to make sure they made it through winter.

I wonder how long he has been doing it. I feel bad for new guys that do this like me last year and the year before we over value the bees and it takes doing a few and the bees dieing for us to say whats the point. That or you have to put 80 bucks back in them to get them going good. I have known a few in the last 2 years that advertised in this area most now say no way. There was one in Jackson talked to him this spring said he wasn't doing it anymore unless you lived down the street and that all the hives he did after July last year died. I feel that people take advantage of new guys because they have not yet learned the lesson, and the fact that I bet that apartment complex is not in the business of forgiving unpaid rent because they are in it for the people that need homes lol.

What y'all think.
I am just glad I don't have to go up there and especially for little money lol.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:04:56 pm by Haddon »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 10:18:00 pm »
How is it that people take advantage of new guys? I guess if you allow others to dictate what you should or shouldn't do, how much you should charge... The person doing the removal can either take the job or walk away.

...JP

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 08:37:23 am »
Seems like everybody has to do one or two for free or on the cheap in the beginning, just a way of getting their feet wet (I know I have done a couple of freebies and a few cheapies, but those days are over except for the special cases).
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 09:25:35 am »
MY PRICE IS $300 MIN. Went yesterday to a unnamed large lumber . hardware supplier. Talked to the co-manager told him my price for cutouts he winced. Said he didnt know if corporate office would go for that . Told him maybe we could work out a trade for some good 1 x 12 pine lumber.He said he would talk to his boss and call me he was thinking that would be the way to go as he could hide the loss as damage wink wink. No more freebies .

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 10:03:09 am »
A couple of thoughts as I read through this.  Haddon, think of it as a poker game or an auction. You have to be able to abstain from getting emotionally involved in the negotiation of the transaction.  We all understand that you want the bees, but listen to your inner voice of reason, (and the voices of other experienced beeks) not that I am one mind you.  JP, thanks for the plug and yeah $500 for a boom lift to go 20' sounds a little high.  I agree with K9 100% about getting on a forklift.  If the owner is no more concerned about your safety than that, I would take by smoker and go home.  Better healthy and less one colony off bees than broke up or worse and still less one colony of bees.  I can appreciate your enthusiasm but I would stay away from this one unless you can do it safely and for a profit.

Offline Judy in in

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 12:57:39 pm »
MY PRICE IS $300 MIN. Went yesterday to a unnamed large lumber . hardware supplier. Talked to the co-manager told him my price for cutouts he winced. Said he didnt know if corporate office would go for that . Told him maybe we could work out a trade for some good 1 x 12 pine lumber.He said he would talk to his boss and call me he was thinking that would be the way to go as he could hide the loss as damage wink wink. No more freebies .

I think we could ALL get behind a lumber barter, lol.