Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Non Pros, do you advertise?  (Read 2313 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Non Pros, do you advertise?
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:10 am »
For those of you who are weekend/hobbist/non-professional swarm catchers and cutout do'ers, do you advertise that you do cutouts and swarms?  Say on Craigslist or local paper.  Or, instead do you advise pest folks, police, FD of your willingness to do this stuff?

Physically I just cannot get into major work any more.  Higher than a 6 foot step ladder is enough.  No crawl spaces or attics.  Just too old/physically broken.  But am willing to do the tearout and removal for free on the stuff I am able to do.  Don't want to mess with putting back together, but have contractor buddy that I can refer.

Anyhow, my swarm season is still a bit away I think, but I should be letting those that will possibly call, know about me.  Suggestions of what has worked for you? 

I do have a 25 year old son, but he is lazy as crap and you have to make flipping appointments to beg him to help. 
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
Re: Non Pros, do you advertise?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:49:48 am »
I will do swarm catching BUT NOT cut out to many lawyers and YES I do get gas money.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:55:19 am »
craigs list has worked for me and i get a lot of calls from your side of the river.  rarely take them because it's so far that i figure it's good odds that the swarm would be gone before i got there.  our swarm season may start as early as next month if it warms, but usually is in full swing in early may.

i don't charge for swarms, but i don't turn down a donation to the gas tank. 

the last few years i haven't gotten many cut out calls.  none last year.  one or two the year before.  i have limited myself to out buildings and things like poach posts.  i don't do repairs and i tell them what to expect when i do the removal.  i don't charge.  most of the time it's a farm or old lady thing.  sometimes i get fed and sometimes they pay.  whatever.  :-)

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:56:39 am »
I am on the Ohio Beekeepers' and Summit Cty swarm/removal list, and have cards at several businesses for people. Police dispatchers have my number, and word of mouth.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:15:25 pm »
thanks for the reminder GF.  jack, i should have mentioned that once your name gets out you will (on a normal year) get way more calls than you can handle.  the Lake Oswego FD got my name and started passing it out.  a few years ago they had a heck of a swarm season in their neighborhood.  considered pitching a tent in the park just to cut down on driving.....but you probably know that neighborhood? 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:45:42 am »
This time of year I leave a brochure pinned up on the bulletin board in the back of TSC and Atwoods(local TSC-like chain).  There's also the feed store where I purchase all of my feed.  Those people know everybody and you'd be amazed at the word of mouth referrals that you'll get.  Also I let the local fire depts, mostly voluteer, know about me.  We also have a local AM radio station that has a show called "Talk Time" where locals can call in with items for sale or WTB.  Folks also announce birthdays, anniversaries and garage sales.  It's amazing how many locals, especially the elderly, listen to that show.  I was referred to a swarm call by a elderly friend that listens to it every day.  That gave me the idea to call in, announcing that I would remove swarms and do cutouts.  Lots of hits and word of mouth.  Then, whenever I do a swarm call or cutout, I sell the idea of settingup a swarm trap at that location.  People are usually ripe for the explanation that the bees will move into my trap instead of their building.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:50:15 am »
Actually I would pass on Lake Oswego, Kathy, too far.  I am at the mouth of the gorge. 

Yeah, I think I will let my bud on the FD know.  Yeah Kathy, that kind of 'cutout'.  I really am more countrified than cityfied.  I just remember bout  5 years ago my neighbor had a swarm and no one knew who to call.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 11:20:03 am »
not a big fan of lake o myself.  less the distance and more the neighborhood.  not that the folks aren't nice but my big old pickup with the NRA and Bush/Chaney stickers.....doesn't fit in.   ;)

jack, you might check out neighborhoods around the berry farms on your side of the river.  any feed stores, corner markets, store BB's, etc. might be good for you.  those pollination hives throw tons of swarms