Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do you "name" your honey?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline ronbo

• New Bee
What do you "name" your honey?
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:27:02 pm »
In the piedmont are of NC, the main spring flow around here is the Tulip Poplar and Blackberries.  I only have 3 hives and harvest once a year, but I am fortunate enough to have a health food store buy everything I bottle (or what I want to sell).  When I first brought them a sample bottle, they asked, what kind of honey is it?  So I quickly made up the name "TulipBerry" and it has stuck.    It's very light in color, and bottles from 3 years ago have only crystallized very slightly.

I've harvested for 3 years, and they say their customers ask for it now by name.   

Any other clever names for your honey?
Ronnie Bouchon
"Putting honey bees on the map!"

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: What do you "name" your honey?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 11:48:06 pm »
Don't know if it's clever or not but planning on being "Darby Farms Hometown Honey" That would simplify labeling & not having a prime flow other than blackberry (which just ended).  The hives from the CSA will have Take Root Farm as the type.  The people are excited to have the honey from the plants that produce their shares & Jen will love the pollination.

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 01:37:02 am »
I label mine as multi floral.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 02:12:21 am »
Wildflower covers everything
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:50:02 am »
    It's very light in color, and bottles from 3 years ago have only crystallized very slightly.

ha, doesn't sound like our tulip poplar, here in Ga. ours is darker red color, when you hold it towards the light it looks red in the jar, its our largest flow here, when its red I call it tulip poplar honey and if I get a light color I call it wild flower honey. haven't had a light color honey in a few years because of the droughts, only flow we been getting is tulip poplar.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:16:59 am »
    It's very light in color, and bottles from 3 years ago have only crystallized very slightly.

ha, doesn't sound like our tulip poplar, ours is darker red color
That's what I was going to say. Mine is a dark reddish as well. I had some tulip poplar honey last weekend at a "honey tasting" that was nearly as dark as buckwheat honey.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:06:18 am »
Mine is pretty light, I call mine forest honey becuase they get wild flowers. Only consistant run here is the goldenrod.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline K-R-Farms

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:05:24 am »
First year beek.
3 Hives, we only harvested from one of them.
Got 2 gallons.
It is a wonderfully light color and taste.
"Hevhoney" is what we are calling ours.

Proverbs 3:3
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 09:32:20 am »
We are pulling from 60 hives sitting on 300 acres of Melon, Calling it " OMG Honey".

Also, I am starting a fundraiser for a local Beek who's Roof has collapsed. He has very little income, on Disability and depends on his Bee's for winter income. This year has been very bad for us on the Eastern Shore, so he's in a bad way. 1/2 of his home is destroyed and being a Contractor I'm donating my time and tools to the cause. Going over today to put up a fence to keep the vandals from taking what little he has left. The Honey will be labeled " OMG Honey For Homes".

I've tried this honey and everyone has said the same thing WITHOUT prompting..."Oh My God...this is good"...go figure.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:49:44 am »
Well sometimes I name her "snookums" and sometimes "dear" or "hotlips" but mostly I just call her by her given name of "Shawna".

:-D

"Wildflower honey...it's not just wild, it's CRAZY!!!"
Rick

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 01:50:06 pm »

Going over today to put up a fence to keep the vandals from taking what little he has left. The Honey will be labeled " OMG Honey For Homes.

You could modify Frantz's wife's idea, BEES!  Set up a trip wire to knock over a box-0-bees..or hornets, then no real bees would be harmed.  Make sure to record for our amusement as well as the guy you are helping. :evil: Vandals make me mad :-x  People work so hard for what little they have & for some lazy bored ^$$!! to destroy or steal is just plain wrong!  Hmmph, now you have ME all riled up thinking bout your friend.  I'll buy as many jars as you can put safely in the flat rate priority mail box..can hold around 50lbs think it's under $10 for shipping.  I have an idea.  PM me info about your benefit, I'll print it out & will make baskets for an auction in our town.  I'll post the flyer for that here...items from one benefit to benefit another!  GENIOUS if I do say so myself :-D
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 06:06:03 pm »
Fresh Nebraska honey.If they ask I say what ever they were working at the time since there is not any clear source at any one time.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 06:55:24 pm »

That's what I was going to say. Mine is a dark reddish as well. I had some tulip poplar honey last weekend at a "honey tasting" that was nearly as dark as buckwheat honey.

mine in the jar looks real dark but you have to hold it up to the light to see the red.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 07:12:22 pm »
We have a 2 distinct major flows, dandelion and goldenrod.  We call that honey dandelion and goldenrod honey.  The rest of it is multifloral and we call that wildflower honey.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 02:15:08 am »
We are pulling from 60 hives sitting on 300 acres of Melon, Calling it " OMG Honey".

Also, I am starting a fundraiser for a local Beek who's Roof has collapsed. He has very little income, on Disability and depends on his Bee's for winter income. This year has been very bad for us on the Eastern Shore, so he's in a bad way. 1/2 of his home is destroyed and being a Contractor I'm donating my time and tools to the cause. Going over today to put up a fence to keep the vandals from taking what little he has left. The Honey will be labeled " OMG Honey For Homes".

I've tried this honey and everyone has said the same thing WITHOUT prompting..."Oh My God...this is good"...go figure.

I had to blink, I read that the 1st time as GMO honey and thought Oh NO!  The blink took care of the temporary dyslexia so I can agree with the name when referring to one's own home grown honey.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2008, 08:21:53 am »
Sorry for the Hijack folks, thanks for the support. Will let all of you know on other post how the harvest goes. We are hoping for at least 60lbs of the really tastey Melon Honey... OMG...hehe.

It took 2nd place at the Nationals in Kentucky last month. I need to make sure thats accurate so don't quote me yet. CRS  :-D
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.