Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how meny bees is too meny ?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline chad

• New Bee
how meny bees is too meny ?
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:22 pm »
OK,I just made a bee vac sunday.Tuesday I got a hive from under a house and installed it in a hive body.I salvaged allot of comb with brood.I tied it into every other frame,with the other frame I put wax coated plasti cell.I put a empty super on top to make more room.there seem to be allot of bees.how crowded should it be?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: how meny bees is too meny ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:11:00 pm »
Are they bearding all over the outside of the hive? If no, give the a few days to settle in then take a look and see just how many bees are in the hive. If all the frames are covered, add another brood chamber after 8 of the 10 frames are drawn. If you do not have a strong nectar flow, feed.

Please update your location.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline chad

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 10:21:20 pm »
well its dark out and they are all around the entrance,maybe two inches above and around the sides

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:50:03 pm »
Add another box. It is easier to remove an unneeded box later than catch them after they left from being crowded.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:21:16 am »
i agree with idee, more room is better if they are not all in after dark!

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.