Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: gray haired bees wanted  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Kyle

• New Bee
gray haired bees wanted
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:32:07 am »
I am looking for dark (black or near black) bees with white-ish or gray hairs. I believe that these are a strain of Carniolan honey bees. I once had a hive like this--they were very hairy, much more than my current hives. They had so much white/gray hair that you almost couldn't tell that they were near black under all that hair.  They were a good hive--very calm and did not require much of their stores over winter. At least that is how I remember them.

Anyone have any of these dark bees with gray hair and sale queens from this stock?  PM me with information.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: gray haired bees wanted
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:43:04 am »
Sounds like Caucasians...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kyle

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 12:53:09 am »
That is interesting to hear.  They were my very first hive.  The queen that was originally in that first hive is long gone now, but I sure wish I had made splits or otherwise raised some queens from her.  I suppose that maybe there are some of her genetics still with my hives or others nearby, but I have not seen any of those small gray--ghostly looking bees in a while.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:49:30 am »
Caucasian bees are often described as "grey" or "silver".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin