Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving the hive... Wow I'm insane I guess.  (Read 2502 times)

Offline robk23678

• New Bee
Moving the hive... Wow I'm insane I guess.
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:01:08 pm »
So, we are planning to move our hive about 100 yards away from it's current location. The area we want to move it will provide a better wind break for winter time, plus I hope it will be far enough away the puppy will not stick his nose in the entrance again... Long story short, I didn't think it was possible for a dog to run AND roll forward and sideways all at the same time.

Obviously, I want to get it done before winter, which is approaching fast for us (we've already had a frost).

My plan is:

1) put a screen on so they are confined to the hive (obviously).

2) Next morning, slide hive into my garden trailer (I already have a strap around it securing the hive to the concrete blocks, and another one on standby under the bottom board, ready to secure the hive itself together)

3) Move concrete blocks to new location and set them up.

4) Move hive on trailer to new location, and slide back onto the blocks.

5) Place something in front of hive to make them reorient to new location.

How long should I leave them confined before I remove the screen? I'm not a big fan of stings, so removal will be in the evening, and I will have to replace my entrance screen with my mouse guard. I know I will have some pretty angry off bees, but I'm trying to minimize the inconvenience to them as much as possible.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Moving the hive... Wow I'm insane I guess.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:28:22 pm »
You are expecting to fight a tiger when the kitten is still bottle fed.

Your plan is fine, and the bees won't mind. In my case, I wouldn't even suit up.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline robk23678

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:42:41 pm »
I don't even own a suit. :shock: We only have 2 sets of hats and veils.

They weren't too happy with me the last inspection. I didn't realize until halfway through that yellowjackets decided an armed robbery was in order... little effers. I only got about 20 stings on my back from that. I think the dog got worse the other day.

I will say the boxes are nice and heavy, and bees are in abundance in there. I took a red light out the other night when I was attempting to install my homemade mouseguard, and looked in the entrance at the bottom board. It was FULL...

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 11:11:30 pm »
Are there tricks you can do when moving a hive that short of a distance to keep them from becoming confused and showing up at their old hive location?
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:41:33 pm »
Ten, read #5 in the op.

Some will return. Less the second day, None after the third or fourth day.

Rob, 50,000 bees can be just as gentle as 10,000. Just move slow and without bumps and all will go smooth.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:25:15 am »
I'm not a big fan of moving bees that short a distance, but people do it with sticks or grass at the entrance to force orientation as they leave the hive. The best thing to do is wait for weather that you'll know that they won't be flying for 3 or 4 days then move em.
As far as not getting stung, your not giving yourself a excuse to have a beer or two LOL!
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:32:25 am »
We just use a limb off a leafy bush so they have to fly around or through in to get inside. I've never went a year without any stings. Don't need an excuse to have a couple here! :cheer:

Offline robk23678

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 12:49:09 am »
So it's done. I sealed them up last night, went out this morning and attached my "lifting boards", slid them and the concrete blocks into the trailer and moved them the 100 yards. Nicer area, natural windbreak from the north/west (which is where most of our wind and storms come from), but no lilac bush out front. Oh well, better that I don't have to build them a windbreak out of snow I guess.

I figured I was going to leave them sealed up until late tonight, especially when I was putting them back on the blocks the very unhappy sounds coming from the hive... But alas, I got brave and decided I was going to let them loose during the daylight. So I go over with my supplies and smoker lit good, undid the screws on my moving screen, and all h**l broke loose. Apparently I missed the memo that today was going to be their drone eviction day. Drones being pushed out, pulled out, dragged out... Must have been 50 at least, and they were still at it when I was done.

I got all ready for unhappiness from them, but they were just glad to be getting rid of the drones and had absolutely no concern with me and what I was doing. Got the mouse guard back in place, put a pine tree branch about a foot in front of the entrance sticking up out of the ground, and let them be. My nice hunter green beehive with the bright orange strap around it holding it to the concrete blocks, off in the field now.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 02:07:49 pm »
Sounds like things went ok for you. In the past I have installed robber screens to the entrance before letting them out. It works about as good as a leafy limb.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 11:38:32 pm »
well.. I didnt post soon enough.. sorry :(     I would move them as soon as I closed up the hive in the evening and left them closed up for the night as well as allowing them to calm down from the move, and opened them up BEFORE the sun started warming the hive the next morning... As long as its not too warm out.
   Sounds like you did OK and all went well, except for the poor drones...     I worry when my wife starts looking at me strangely this time of year....
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Spear

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »
I worry when my wife starts looking at me strangely this time of year....

Well hopefully you are more useful than a drone... LOL

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 02:08:26 am »
I worry when my wife starts looking at me strangely this time of year....

Well hopefully you are more useful than a drone... LOL

Entirely depends on which one of us you ask!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.