Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Be gone darn snow!  (Read 9480 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Be gone darn snow!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 07:19:13 am »
Mick,
Is there a story with this photo?
Ken

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 10:44:02 am »
i don't know how you do it in america, and around the globe, but we chase off the winter and its snow!we all wear funny customes (like you do on halloween). we also have some "heavy cavalry" which has been here for millenias, maybe we should send you a Kurent or two! they don't just chase off the winter, they also make sure crops are abundant if they are welcomed!

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 07:52:06 pm »
We've had over 67" of snow so far this year. I know, compared to 15 feet, that's nothing, but it's a lot for us. We are now just a few days short of an all-time-record for number of days of continuous snow cover (60 days so far).

In Vermont, we didn't get 15 feet, that's just how high the piles were. However over in western NY, they had 12.5 feet of snow from lake effect this year. It set a record.
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 02:55:09 am »
Dunno the details ken, other than its a Komatsu something, the worlds largest dozer and was scooped up in a coal mine somewhere. Its a mighty big coal mine if the dredge is that big!

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:12 am »
was it the snow that shut down the pa highway, or the ice caused wrecks?  happens here in ice storms.  one or two trucks sideways or flipped and the roads are all done.
Hubby and I were actually driving through Pennsylvania during all this.  We came upon stopped traffic on Route 81 at around 11:30 am on Thursday.  We were driving through to Georgia.  What a mess.  Fortunately we were able to get off the highway (why they let us on I'll never know) and drive down secondary roads (took us the rest of the afternoon).  It wasn't the ice specifically that jackknifed the trucks, it was the lack of clearing of any snow whatsoever.  I've never seen such a poor job of snow management (you'd think they didn't have the equipment to deal with it, but I know they do).  The secondary roads were unreal at least 12" of hardpack, the smaller roads that went off on either side weren't even touched.  We went through some small towns that were paralyzed (fortunately hubby is a trucker and knows how to drive through anything).  We didn't see the ice storm part until we got quite a bit south, and through West Virginia into Virginia, although the snow through Penn was pretty slushy.  We talked to a few truckers when we stopped at McDonalds later in the day who had been stuck for over 12 hours.  Life on the road for them!