Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Inherited some equipment - some questions..  (Read 2620 times)

Offline bigskybee

• New Bee
Inherited some equipment - some questions..
« on: September 23, 2004, 03:53:17 pm »
My first post to the forum, plz bear with me!  Also kudos to Mr. Clayton on fine job on website and forum--it has been most informative.  Comment: what looks like knapweed image at Forum gateway, is interesting cotnrast in purposes.  Out west, knapweed is the scourge of rancher/farmers but my understanding is that it is great flavor enhancer for honey.

My issues: I'm firstyear beekeeper and really enjoying the experience.  I inherited some equipment this month: moth damaged frames (my solution here is to freeze for couple of days-is this cureall?); frames with uncapped honey which looks molded (or is it chalkbrood?)--what to do with these frames--salvageable?  Finally, most of what I've read on forum discourages from feeding honey from another source to my bees, any thoughts?
thanks
bigskybee

Offline golfpsycho

• House Bee
Inherited some equipment - some questions..
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 03:15:25 pm »
Feeding honey from an unknown source is never a good idea.  Foulbrood spores travel in honey, and nobody seems to know what triggers the disease.  You have to wonder what happened to the bees for the equipment to get in this condition.  Before freezing the frames, I would evaluate the amount of wax moth damage.  It can get quite extensive in a very short time.  Personally, if the honey is moldy or fermented, and the wax has moth damage, I would probably strip the wax out and clean everything up.  Then get them ready for next year with some new foundation.