Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You folks see this one?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline diggity

• House Bee
    • Garden Imperative
You folks see this one?
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:33:11 pm »
No big surprise here, but a very good article, nonetheless:

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/
Gardening advocate and author of the book Garden Imperative (http://gardenimperative.blogspot.com)

Offline ScoobyDoBee

• New Bee
Re: You folks see this one?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:28:05 pm »
Heard the news, had not read it. Thanks for sharing.
- ScoobyDoBee
Get high on life - smoke some bees!

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 03:47:13 am »
Diggity

Great read, great info, great research, .......  I cant remember how many microns my filters go down to?  I hope its not 200.

First thing I thought when reading how pollen is used to trace honey back to its location of production and that the pollen is filtered out to hide the evidence of origin, that the Chinese or others will just simply add pollen to the honey if honey without pollen was banned from shelfs.  It is so sad that we pay so much money in taxes to fund organizations that are supposed to protect us and they simply drag their feet.  My uncle works for a dairy.  He just told my at our turkey day dinner that the state just sent all wisconsin dairy farmer a letter saying that they needed to send them their social security number because it is needed for the ability to track all food products to their place of origin.  They are told all numbers will be encrypted so there is no risk.  If they dont supply the number they will lose their grade A certification or something.  Amazing, yet we import food from all over the world, how are we going to track that stuff?  This country is messed up beyond repair.

I would like to start selling honey at a small farmers market about five miles from my home next summer.  If I actually get to that point, this would be a great piece of info to offer customers for two reasons.  One, they should be informed, two, inspire customers to return for more REAL HONEY!
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 12:03:15 pm »
Right On!  Our job IMO is to educate the public about these matters, especially when selling our own. 

NAFTA pretty much put our small farm out of business due to cheap imports from China (primarily garlic, always our biggest profit maker, coming through the Canadian 'backdoor' and being dumped in the US.  That, along with advancing age and the kids (cheap labor) moving away :'(

Instead of FREE TRADE (free for who?) How about some FAIR TRADE for everyone? 

I've noticed more jars of "raw" honey being sold for some high dollars even around here.  Unfiltered 'white' honey for twice (or more) the amount of filtered (its not at Wal-Mart yet though :shock:).  Sounds like less work and a possible opportunity for a nitch market to me 8-).

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything