Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: does wind make bees mean?  (Read 5925 times)

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
does wind make bees mean?
« on: August 24, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »
I have been getting wonderful responses to my many questions so here I go again. Being a new bee keeper and pretty much on my own I have been learning at the school of hard knocks lately and today was another example. I like to observe my bees frequently and on a warm non wind day I have not had any problems.
Today I crouched down on the ground a short distance from hive so I could see the entrance to the bottom box, in a flash a bee came out and stung me below my eye before I knew what happened, then a few more began the chase.
Being fairly windy today seemed to make the bees a bit on edge since I have not had this problem before.
Any truth to wind and ornery bees?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: does wind make bees mean?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:20 pm »
I have not noticed my bees getting aggressive as a function of wind.  One thing is for sure though, once a bee stings, you are marked and more are headed your way.  It’s wise to quickly move away at that point if you’re not protected. 

I do have a hive that is more aggressive on days with an impending storm on the way.  Low pressure? 

The other thing to consider is the strength of your hive.  Aren’t you the guy with the 5 deep hive?  When you have a super hive with lots of honey to protect, they can be more aggressive.

If I’m getting within 4 feet of an entrance, I wear a mosquito head net to protect my face.  You really never know what an insect with such a small brain might do.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:57:12 pm »
bees do get alil pissy on windy days.well mine do.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:19:04 pm »
Ditto Schawee, and later in the season they do get a bit touchy with the honey they have to protect.

Offline BlevinsBees

• House Bee
    • Habitat for Honeybees
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 04:24:56 am »
Yes they get very pissy in wind. I have 8 roof top hives in San Francisco near the ocean. You have to pick the best
worst day for a hive inspection which means you'll get stung a lot.
President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
habitatforhoneybees.com

Offline scrapiron

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:34:50 am »
The EXACT same thing happened to me 2 days ago. Almost every evening I open a Budweiser and go sit in a chair beside my hives. Tuesday was no different. 30 seconds into my beer, I got popped on the forehead.
I am not going to lie, it hurt my feelings more than the sting hurt me! This is the first hive ever had and they are always so gentle. Monday I weedeated all around the hives and they ignored me. Tuesday I get popped for no reason....  :'(
Matt

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:49 am »
No....wind does not make bees mean.

Windy days however, does limit flying time for forage bees. Forage bees are the oldest bees, and can be very defensive at times. So if they are all home, and are hanging out in the hive, then you have many bees that can get nasty. That is why inspections are best done when the forage bees are out flying.

Factor in the time of the year, your willingness to get close enough to look in the entrance (and probably breathed in the direction of the entrance), then it only was reasonable to take a sting.

As I say with my kids when they do something that results in a unpleasant boo-boo...."I wouldn't do that again!"  ;)
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline scrapiron

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 10:35:14 am »

As I say with my kids when they do something that results in a unpleasant boo-boo...."I wouldn't do that again!"  ;)

Bjorn, you have kids.... So I am sure you will appreciate the fact that I was out sitting beside my hives last night. Beer in hand, and golf ball sized welt on my forehead.  :-D
Matt

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:39:37 am »

Bjorn, you have kids.... So I am sure you will appreciate the fact that I was out sitting beside my hives last night. Beer in hand, and golf ball sized welt on my forehead.  :-D

You can blame it on the bees if you want. We really know what happened. And I say "Good for her!".  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 01:47:19 pm »
I would also put part of the blame on the bees lose of control on a windy day. There's no problem walking right across the flight path slowly on a calm day. They will divert around you. However on a windy day you can see them being blown all over as they approach the entrance. If one gets blown into you they are not happy about it and take it out on you.

Offline Rock331

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
Bees are funny. I build a bench close to my hive. Within 5 feet to sit and watch the bees doing their thing while I drink coffee in the morning. I went out just before the sun came up but still light outside because I was going a Scuba Diving Trip that morning. Well the bees were busy coming an going already. One Bee decided to hit me on the shoulder twice and then leave a present on my eye brow. I would agree it hurt my fealing more that it hurt from the sting. I thought we had bonded better than that.LOL   Been out drinking coffee again and no problem I can check the hive in short and tee shirt with no problems. You just never know how they will be.
Randy

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:56:46 pm »
I have been observing the bees all summer and this was the first time one came after me when I was just sitting there. She came like a bullett right from the hive and purposely stung me! I was quite surprised also when I went back for my dropped sunglasses (twice) which were now 15 ft from the hive and several bees came after me!!!

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 11:52:05 pm »
I would agree it hurt my fealing more that it hurt from the sting. I thought we had bonded better than that.LOL  

Too funny! I would feel the same way rock.
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 03:20:52 am »
Once you have been tagged, they will keep coming!  I got stung a couple of times during one cutout, and boy, were they after me after that!  I had two helpers who didn't get one sting and were more lightly protected gear wise.  I could walk a foot away from them, trailing bees, and the bees ignored them.  I sat down for a breather, and had a bee on my helmet trying to sting me over and over.  Since her stinger couldn't penetrate the plastic, she just kept trying...  It got to be quite funny in a way.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline SerenaSYH

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 05:09:57 am »
I am not going to lie, it hurt my feelings more than the sting hurt me! This is the first hive ever had and they are always so gentle. Monday I weedeated all around the hives and they ignored me. Tuesday I get popped for no reason....  Cry

Matt, I'd be  :'( too!!! My feelings would be mega hurt. And I'm an unblinking flippin' shameless, non-cryer who can't stand chick flicks and other sob movies, but that would make me sob the entire day! lol! I'm pretty thick-skinned but not when it comes to getting stung by a beloved honeybee. But they always say you can't be a beekeeper without being stung at least once if not dozens of times, right? Ah, the things we do for loooove, hehe!

Hmmm, from reading just the title, yeah I would think wind would make a honeybee cranky as well as being shut up in the hive for too long because of unending rains. With my crazy imagination, I like to imagine honeybees as being "little people". I'm sure that any sort of bad windstorms shaking up their hives or making it difficult for them to fly or get to their destination is gonna make them a bit grouchy and cranky....

P.S. I wonder if there is such thing as a "Bee-whisperer??" I remember reading a post about someone reaching with their bare hands into hives so I wonder if any folks here have had real good luck with getting almost no stings ever but with lots of exposure ..Just curious, lol!

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 08:53:00 am »
... Almost every evening I open a Budweiser and go sit in a chair beside my hives. Tuesday was no different. 30 seconds into my beer, I got popped on the forehead...

I don't like people who drink cheap, mass-produced beer substitutes that taste like metallic carbonated corn water either.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 09:00:27 am »
... Almost every evening I open a Budweiser and go sit in a chair beside my hives. Tuesday was no different. 30 seconds into my beer, I got popped on the forehead...

I don't like people who drink cheap, mass-produced beer substitutes that taste like metallic carbonated corn water either.

Oh-oh/  I too enjoy my beer, but do not judge as such (each to their own).  I brew my own ales (IPA's Dbl IPA's etc...) though and never enter a colony after consumming one ;).

I've gotten stung just four times this summer, all were my own fault.  I agree w/ Bjorn, wind does not make bees mean, just more likely to run into you while observing is all.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 09:38:46 am »
My take is pressure changes affect bee's moods more than anything. I've had days when I couldn't open a box without anyone being in a good mood then two days later they welcome you with open arms.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline scrapiron

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 01:06:08 pm »

Its ok my friend. Feel free to stop in and I will let you take a swig from the mason jar I keep in the freezer. OR better yet...
Might I suggest Yoga or some other alternitive to alcohol. It makes some people (ahemm, YOU) mean and nasty.   
Matt

Offline forrestcav

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 02:56:43 pm »
Aren't missing the most important consideration. 50,000 females it doesn't take much to make one cranky some days. Wind blows messes the hair, pressure changes and affects the sinuses, etc...
Or maybe your drinking made her cranky??? Females who can figure them.  ;)
Just a beek trying to get ready for winter.

anything