Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: medicating a new installation  (Read 2734 times)

Offline ktbearpaws

• House Bee
medicating a new installation
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:47:08 am »
I will be installing my new bees in a day or so and was wondering.
"Do I really NEED to medicate when I install the bees?"
"Or can I wait a few weeks and feed then?"  :?

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: medicating a new installation
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 09:57:33 am »
Are they Nucs or packages?  If they are packages you really need to feed them to help them to get going until the nectar flow is on.  But medicating them is another matter entirely.  I'm not a fan of prophylactic medicating period.  What are you supposed to be medicating for?
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline ktbearpaws

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 03:47:45 pm »
They're packages...... I read in you should treat for nosema during the spring and fall.
I am suposed to get my packages in the morning...But, they are calling for snow on Tuesday.
Should I go ahead and install.....or wait?

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 04:08:48 pm »
In my opinion, you shouldn't medicate for nosema in the spring unless the bees show obvious signs of nosema.  You do need to feed a package right from the get-go until they stop or drastically slow down on taking the syrup.  Go ahead and install now, since keeping them in the package won't do anything for them.  If you can, insulate the hive... oh, and when it turns cold tuesday, remove the syrup if you're feeding it on a hivetop feeder, but make sure they still have some source of food.  Nothing kills bees faster than cold combined with cold wet syrup dripping down on them.  Well, nothing except me keeping a hive closed up on a hot day, but that's another story.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:42:58 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin